Font Size

SCREEN

Profile

Layout

Menu Style

Cpanel

Allesley Bells

Until 1901 Allesley were an anticlockwise ring of 5 with a tenor of around 8cwt in an old wooden frame. The parish wished to have a heavier ring of 6 bells so they had installed a new metal, clockwise, frame for 6 bells, recast the old third, a Richard le Belytere bell of 1464, and added a tenor of exactly 12 cwt. This work was carried out by Taylors of Loughborough.

Today this scheme would not be allowed to proceed in this way as the recast bell was about 440 years old in 1901. A new bell would be cast and the old one retained, either on display in the church or perhaps as a clock or service bell.

The band became one of the stronger in what was then called the Warwickshire Guild and this enabled the band to contemplate a further augmentation. In March 1947 the bells were augmented to 8 by adding two trebles cast on 22nd October 1946. The existing two trebles were moved into a rider frame added above the existing 6-bell frame and the new bells put into the now vacant pits. The "old" bells were also put onto ball bearings, again Taylors doing the work. They were re-dedicated by the Lord Bishop of Coventry on 22nd March 1947. A mainly local band rang the first peal on the 8 bells, 5056 Plain Bob Major in 2 Hours & 50 Minutes on, 10th May 1947.

(The Guild was renamed "The Coventry Diocesan Guild of Church Bellringers" in 1945 - a mere 27 years after St. Michael's Church was created a Cathedral and the Diocese formed. The minutes of the meeting to change the name are well worth a read!).

The ringing room used to be dominated by a clock case and, as the clock had stopped working it rather conveniently could be taken out to leave a much better rope circle than would have been achievable otherwise!

The clock face itself was removed to storage in the old vicarage stables in the 1960s and it was only when it was re-gilded and replaced and a new electric mechanism added in the mid-1990s did the ringers find out about the minor omission of obtaining a faculty for its removal!

The bells have been fairly popular for peals and have had more rung on them for the Coventry Guild than any other so far, with the exception of Warwick, St Nicholas,over 250. Decent sound control and sensible amount and spacing out of peals have meant that the only complaints normally received are that someone cannot hear the bells properly in their house!

In 2011 the third and fourth bells were replaced by new bells and the rest of the installation overhauled by Taylors.  The listed fourth bell has been hung dead as a service bell and the third sold to a bellhanger for a project in Wales.

Visiting ringers are more than welcome - the door is an outside entrance on the South side of the tower and is not locked except during quarters and peals.

Ringing Times

Sunday - 0930-1000 & 1730-1800
Tuesday - 1930-2100

Allesley is affiliated to The Coventry Diocesan Guild of Church Bellringers

Details of the Bells

Bell Founder Diameter Weight Date Frequency Note
1 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 23.50" 3-0-03 1946 1619.5Hz G#-45c
2 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 24.50" 3-2-00 1946 1529.5Hz Fx-44c
3 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 25.50" 3-1-21 2011 1358.0Hz E#-49c
4 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 26.875" 3-3-21 2011 1214.0Hz D#-43c
5 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 30.00" 5-0-27 1901 1077.5Hz C#-49c
6 Joseph Smith, Edgbaston 32.00" 5-3-27 1708 1016.5Hz B#-51c
7 Newcombe, Leicester 35.75" 8-0-21 1610 906.5Hz A#-49c
8 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 40.25" 12-0-00 1901 808.5Hz G#-47c
             
Service Thomas Newcombe, Leicester 26.50" 3-3-08 1580 1202.5Hz D#-59c
Old 3rd Joseph Smith, Edgbaston 25.50" 3-0-15 1708 1357.0Hz E#-50c

Hear a Recording of the Bells

You are here: Home The Bells