Font Size

SCREEN

Profile

Layout

Menu Style

Cpanel

BIRMINGHAM, Great Western Arcade 5, 0-2-24 in F

Grid Reference 139/070871

History

This arcade, which links Colmore Row and Temple Row, was constructed above the tunnel over the Great Western Railway between Moor Street and Snow Hill stations. It was built to the designs of William H. Wardat a cost of £60,000 and opened on 28 August 1876. 

By the late 1970s the arcade had fallen into disrepair. After extensive restoration carried out for the Prudential Assurance Company by the John Madin Design Group, it was reopened on 3 October 1984.

At the time of the restoration, a new clock and chime of five small bells was installed near the entrance from Colmore Row. The clock and bells are positioned at gallery level just inside the main arcade, with the bells being hung from brackets just above the art-deco clock dial.

(Most of the above information is quoted directly (with permission) from the research notes of Chris Pickford).

Details of the Bells

1. Whitechapel Bell Foundry,    1983   9.25"   0-0-26  E
2. Whitechapel Bell Foundry,  c.1984   9.875"  0-1-05  D
3. Whitechapel Bell Foundry,    1982  10.625"  0-1-12  C 
4. Whitechapel Bell Foundry,  c.1984  12.875"  0-2-08  G
5. Whitechapel Bell Foundry,    1984  14.00"   0-2-24  F

~

 Photo Gallery

Birmingham Arcade - Source: Elliott Brown
You are here: Home Rings T- Z Warwick Chimes Clock Chimes Birmingham - Great Western Arcade