Font Size

SCREEN

Profile

Layout

Menu Style

Cpanel

BIRMINGHAM, Museum & Art Gallery 5, 62-2-0 in B

Grid Reference 139/066869 Birmingham Art Gallery - Source: Wikimedia
Postcode B3 3DH 
Other Information Museum Website

History

The Art Gallery, located in Chamberlain Square, is a fine classical building designed – like the adjoining Council House - by Yeoville Thomason. The foundation stone for the Art Gallery extension was laid by the Mayor on 19 July 1881. Completed in 1885, the building has a tall, 153' 4", clock tower "Big Brum", with a tiled pyramidal roof. 

The clock was supplied and installed by Gillett & Co. of Croydon in 1885 and it strikes the hours and quarters on five large bells. The clock and bells were the gift of Mr. Abraham Follett Osler (1808-1903), the Birmingham glass manufacturer best known for the crystal fountain he designed and made for the Great Exhibition in 1851. 

The order books show that the total cost of the clock and bells amounted to £1721. The clock bells hang in a wooden framework (supported on three large steel girders) at the level of the belfry window openings. The quarter bells all have the inscription "CAST BY GILLETT & CO CROYDON 1885 and the hour bell has "CAST BY GILLETT & CO BELL FOUNDERS & CLOCK MANUFACTURERS CROYDON LONDON On the waist: (border all round) / PRESENTED BY / A. FOLLETT. OSLER / JUNE 1885. "

(Most of the above information is quoted directly (with permission) from the research notes of Chris Pickford).

Details of the Bells

1 Gillett & Co, Croydon 1885 38.75" 12-3-00 A#
2 Gillett & Co, Croydon 1885 42.75" 10-0-14 G#
3 Gillett & Co, Croydon 1885 48.00" 23-3-00 F#
4 Gillett & Co, Croydon 1885 61-50" 41-2-00 C#
5 Gillett & Co, Croydon 1885 70.00" 62-2-00 B

Photo Gallery

The Bells. Source: Birmingham Post The Clock. Source: Birmingham Post
The Bells The Clock

BIRMINGHAM, Great Western Arcade 5, 0-2-24 in F

Grid Reference 139/070871

History

This arcade, which links Colmore Row and Temple Row, was constructed above the tunnel over the Great Western Railway between Moor Street and Snow Hill stations. It was built to the designs of William H. Wardat a cost of £60,000 and opened on 28 August 1876. 

By the late 1970s the arcade had fallen into disrepair. After extensive restoration carried out for the Prudential Assurance Company by the John Madin Design Group, it was reopened on 3 October 1984.

At the time of the restoration, a new clock and chime of five small bells was installed near the entrance from Colmore Row. The clock and bells are positioned at gallery level just inside the main arcade, with the bells being hung from brackets just above the art-deco clock dial.

(Most of the above information is quoted directly (with permission) from the research notes of Chris Pickford).

Details of the Bells

1. Whitechapel Bell Foundry,    1983   9.25"   0-0-26  E
2. Whitechapel Bell Foundry,  c.1984   9.875"  0-1-05  D
3. Whitechapel Bell Foundry,    1982  10.625"  0-1-12  C 
4. Whitechapel Bell Foundry,  c.1984  12.875"  0-2-08  G
5. Whitechapel Bell Foundry,    1984  14.00"   0-2-24  F

~

 Photo Gallery

Birmingham Arcade - Source: Elliott Brown

SMETHWICK, Council House 3 11-0-9 in G#

Grid Reference 139/023881 Smethwick Council House - Source: Sandwell Borough Council
Postcode  B66 3NT 

History

The Council House was built in 1905-7 at a cost of £17,000. The architect was Frederic J Gill of Smethwick. The building has a slate-hung tower and cupola containing a chiming clock for which Taylors supplied three clock bells in November 1906. The bells hang in the cupola above the dials. All three bells are hung “dead” from wooden beams in the cupola, the quarter bells on one beam (on the side facing the road) and the hour bell on another parallel beam. They are sounded with clock hammers only. The clock was supplied by John Smith & Sons of Derby, with hour strike and ding-dong quarter chimes. 

(Most of the above information is quoted directly (with permission) from the research notes of Chris Pickford)

Details of the Bells

1. John Taylor & Co, Loughborough  1906   2-0-26  22.00"   1584.0Hz (G+18c) 
2. John Taylor & Co, Loughborough  1906   4-0-16  27.625"  1186.0Hz (D+17c) 
3. John Taylor & Co, Loughborough  1906  11-0-09  39.75"    790.0Hz (G+13c)

History

The Handsworth Public Buildings were built in 1878-9 for the Handsworth Urban Sanitary Authority, the building was later used by successive local authorities including the Urban District Council (1894-1911) and the Birmingham City Council (from 1911). In the mid 1960s it was being used as a College of Art and it is now part of the Birmingham City College with a section of the building being set aside as the Public Library.

The building has a tall square tower rising over the main entrance. The upper section of the tower has a tiled pyramid roof with gables on three sides for illuminated clock dials. The original clock was supplied and installed by W.F. Evans & Sons of the Soho Clock Factory in Handsworth in 1879, striking the hours and ding-dong quarters on three bells:

The notes given here are approximate. The bells are hung from deadstocks fixed between softwood beams in the tower roof. They have Doncaster heads. The two quarter bells have no crown staples or centre holes. The hour bell has a crown staple and it is fitted with a clapper – now disused – for tolling.

(Most of the above information is quoted directly (with permission) from the research notes of Chris Pickford)

Details of the Bells

1. James Barwell, 1878  3¾cwt  25.50" G 
2. James Barwell, 1878  4¾cwt  28.375"D  
3. James Barwell, 1878  10cwt  38.50" G#

Photo Gallery

None Available

CHARLECOTE PARK, Gatehouse Clock 5, 4¾cwt in D

Grid Reference 151/262563

History 

This is a clock chime in the Elizabethan Gatehouse at Charlecote Park. These bells and the 8 day clock were supplied by Mears to the clockmaker Tupman of Great Russell Street, Bloomsbury, London in 1824 at a cost of £385 2s 7d.

They sound the notes D, A, D, E F# from the tenor to treble.

The clock is just visible in the photograph on the right hand turret.

Details of the Bells

1 Thomas Mears, London  1824         14.00"  D
2 Thomas Mears, London  1824         16.00"  A
3 Thomas Mears, London  1824         17.75"  D 
4 Thomas Mears, London  1824         22.25"  E
5 Thomas Mears, London  1824  4¾cwt  28.00"  F#

Photo Gallery

Charlecote - Source: Panoramio
The Bells: Source James Trewin
The Bells

You are here: Home Rings T- Z Warwick Chimes Clock Chimes