Font Size

SCREEN

Profile

Layout

Menu Style

Cpanel

BIRMINGHAM, Holy Trinity, Birchfield 8 Tubular Bells in C

Grid Reference 139/066901 Birchfield Church - Source: Perrbarbeyond
Postcode B6 6AH
Other Information Chuch Website

History

This church was built in 1863/4, as a daughter church in the parish of Handsworth, with a south-west tower topped by a spire. It became a parish in its own right in 1865.

Presumably a bell was installed at the building of the church, but no details of one are known. The tower now contains a set of eight tubular bells in the key of C natural put up in June 1897 for the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria, as recorded on a plaque in the base of the tower. The bells hang in two rows of four in a wooden framework, with the even-numbered bells in one row and the odd-numbered ones in the other. They are chimed from a plucking manual on the first floor of the tower. They were overhauled locally in 1989.

There is nothing to confirm this in the tower, but the chime is almost certainly from Harrington, Latham and Co, Coventry.

(Most of the above information is quoted directly (with permission) from the research notes of Chris Pickford)

Details of the Bells

Bell Length Diameter
1     58¾"    3¼"
2     60¾"    3¼"
3     64½"    3¼"
4     67¾"    3¼"
5     73⅛"    3¼"
6     75⅛"    3¼"
7     79½"    3¼"
8     89⅛"    3⅝"

 

Photo Gallery

None Available

EDGBASTON, St Mary and St Ambrose 8 Tubular Bells in C

Grid Reference 139/066901 Edgbaston, SS Mary & Ambrose Church - Source: A MAcRae Thompson
Postcode B15 7RL
Other Information Benefice Website 

History

This church displaced a mission church of Edgaston, St Bartholmew which was built in 1885 to accommodate the expanding population in Lower Edgbaston. St. Agnes, Moseley, were building their new parish church so they no longer required their wooden church. This was felt to be just what was needed on the Pershore Road so it was transported lock, stock and barrel to its present site on the corner of Pershore Road and Raglan Road. Space was left alongside it so that a more permanent church could be built in due course. A permanent church was built in red brick and terracotta in the Decorated style in 1897-8, the architect being J.A. Chatwin of Birmingham. Lord Calthorpe gave the site and the cost of building the church was chiefly met by the Misses Stokes of the Hawthorns, Edgbaston, who contributed £6000 for the purpose. The parish, carved out of Edgbaston, was assigned in 1903.

The tower contains a set of 8 tubular bells in C natural, almost certainly by Harrington, Latham and Co. of Coventry, from 1899.

(Most of the above information is quoted directly (with permission) from the research notes of Chris Pickford)

Details of the Bells

Bell  Length    Diameter
1      63.00"    3.75"
2      65.00"    3.75"
3      69.25"    3.75"
4      73.50"    3.75"
5      78.50"    3.75"
6      81.00"    3.75"
7      86.50"    3.75"
8      94.00"    4.00"

Photo Gallery

None Available

SATLEY, St Saviour, 8 Tubular bells

Grid Reference 139/097876 Saltley, St Saviour Church - Source: Genuki
Postcode B8 1HW

History

This Grade II church was built betweein 1848 and 1850 at a cost of £6,000. It was designed in the Perpendicular style by R C Hussey. The tower is a later addition, 1871, paid for by C B Adderley. Around the same time, north and south transepts were built and the chancel extended as a traditional rectangular gothic style. The church suffered wartime damage and a restoration took place between 1948 and 1951.

There was likely to be a single bell in the tower when it was built but it now contains a set of eight tubular bells, most likely cast by Harrington, Latham & Co of Coventry, in the key of C# (the largest bell 93½” in length), given by Lord Norton and dedicated on 25 September 1904. They hang in the middle of the tower in a pitch-pine frame in two rows of four (1, 3, 5, 7 in one row and 2, 4, 6, 8 in the other). They are sounded from a chiming apparatus in the centre of the ringing room on the first floor. They were overhauled by Smith of Derby in 1976 at a cost of £380.

The tower also contains the bell from St.Basil’s, Deritend, which was installed here by Eayre & Smith in May 1979. It is hung for ringing. It was cast by Barwell of Birmingham in 1911 and it weighs 2½cwt in Eb

Details of the Bells

8 tubular bells by Harrington, Latham & Co, Coventry, tenor 93.50" in C#.

Photo Gallery

None Available

MAPPLEBOROUGH GREEN, Holy Ascension 8, Tubular Bells in Ab

Grid Reference 151/087674 Mappleborough Green Church - Source: Genuki
Postcode B80 7DJ
Other Information Church Webpage

History

The church was opened for worship in 1888 at which time a set of 8 tubular bells was supplied by Harrington, Latham & Co. The church was financed by Sir William Jaffray, Bart. of Skilts in memory of his wife and who continued to support the church until his death in 1914. The stained glass is said to be exceptionally beautiful. The Dedication sermon was preached by The Lord Bishop of Worcester. (The Church was included in the Worcester Diocese). The building specifications are recorded in a document written at the time of the Church’s unveiling. ‘For its size the Church has an aspect of unusual dignity due alike to the excellent proportions designed by the architect and to the skilful manner in which the constructional ornament is combined with severe simplicity of general lines.’

The normal Harrington chiming rack has been turned by the locals into a basic clavier keyboard (with the use of broom handles).

Details of the Bells

1  64.00"
2  66.00"
3  70.00"
4  74.50"
5  79.00"
6  91.50"
7  87.50"
8  92.00"

Photo Gallery

None Available

SPARKHILL*, St John the Evangelist, Stafford Road 8 Tubular Bells in C

Grid Reference 139/092841 Sparkhill, St John Church - Source: geograph.co.uk
Postcode B11 4RU
Other Information Church Website 

History Of The Bells

The church, its parish carved out of the of Yardley in 1894, replaced a temporary iron church that was erected in 1878. It was built in stages between 1888 and 1905. The last part to be completed was the spire and at this time the single bell in the tower was replaced by a set of 8 tubular bells. They are hung in a tall wooden frame in two rows of four, with bells 1,3,5,7 on one side and 2,4,6,8 on the other.

They are struck by hammers and played from a manual – roped left to right - in the north west corner on the first floor of the tower.

The bells were undoubtedly manufactured and installed by Messrs. Harrington, Latham & Co of Coventry. They were overhauled in 1925, 1966 and 1978.

Details of the Bells

   Length   Diameter
1   63.125"  3.75"
2   65.00"   3.75"
3   68.50"   3.75"
4   73.50"   3.75"
5   78.50"   3.75"
6   80.75"   3.75"
7   86.00    3.75"
8   93.375"  4.00"

Photo Gallery

None Available
You are here: Home Rings T- Z Warwick Chimes Tubular Chimes