Font Size

SCREEN

Profile

Layout

Menu Style

Cpanel

BIRMINGHAM, Bishop Latimer's Church 8, 13-3-22 in F

Grid Reference 139/041887 Bishop Latimer's Church - Source: Church Website
Postcode B33 8PB
Peals Felstead Database
Date Lost 1971/2

History

The foundation stone of this large church, inscribed “To the Glory of God and in memory of Hugh Latimer Bishop of Worcester 1535-1539, Martyr 1555” was laid on 4 April 1903, and the building was dedicated the following July. Taylors supplied one ringing bell, 6-3-23 in Db, that was intended to be the 4th of a 25cwt ring of 10.

Some half a century later this became the 5th of a ring of 8 cast in 1958 from the metal of the ring at St John's Deritend (q.v.).

Though six peals were rung here the architect advised that the bells were not to be rung by 1965. In 1971/2 they were transferred to Perry Bar. Prior to 2011 the church was still in use, but the services were held mostly in the church hall, jointly with the URC.  The cost of maintaining the listed church building proved too much for the congregation of around 50 and in 2011 the building was leased to The Seventh Day Adventist Church at a peppercorn rent, reflecting the cost to them of upgrading the building. The services in the church hall have continued, the hall becoming the designated parish centre of worship.

There now only bell installed after the other bells were removed. It is said to have come from the church of St. Chrysostom which was consecrated in 1889 – probably the date of the bell – and closed in 1972. This is a small bell (16” diameter in E) with a peg argent, hung for swing chiming in a simple framework erected among the foundation girders of the former bellframe. In addition there is a further bell which is stored at the base of the tower. It has a clapper, but no other fittings remain. It is said to have come from All Saints, Hockley on the closure of that church in 1973. It was housed in one of the turrets there. It is by James Barwell, 1875, 24” in diameter and 3cwt in weight.

(Most of the above information is quoted directly (with permission) from the research notes of Chris Pickford)

Details of the Bells

1 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough  1958   4-0-16  25.625"  1441.5Hz (F+54c)
2 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough  1958   4-0-26  26.375"  1358.0Hz (E+51c)
3 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough  1958   4-2-07  28.25"   1208.0Hz (D+48c)
4 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough  1958   5-0-03  29.625"  1071.0Hz (C+40c)
5 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough  1904   6-0-14  31.375"   953.0Hz (Bb+38c)
6 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough  1958   7-1-16  34.00"    898.5Hz (A+36c)
7 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough  1958  10-0-12  38.00"    799.0Hz (G+33c)
8 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough  1958  13-3-22  42.375"   710.0Hz (F+28c)

Photo Gallery

None Available

BIRMINGHAM, Bishop Ryder's Church 8, 12-3-24 in F#

Grid Reference 139/287404 Bishop Ryder's Churchh - Source: BobHoughton
Postcode B4 7ED
Peals Felstead Database
Date Lost 1959

History

This church was built in 1837/8 in Gem Street as a memorial to the Bishop of Lichfield, who had died in 1834 and who had been supportive of the need to build a church in this area. Its parish came from that of St Martin in the Bullring. The Chancel was rebuilt in 1894.

In 1925 the parish of St Mary, Whittall Street which closed that year, was united with Bishop Ryder's, as in 1939 was part of the parish of St Bartholomew which closed in 1937. The "slum housing" in the area was demolished after WWII and, after being empty for some, time the church itself was demolised in 1960 and part of Aston University was built on the site.

A single bell by William Taylor of Oxford, cast around 1838 and weighing 4-0-8 was all that was in the tower until, "The first eight ever cast in Birmingham" was installed by Blews and Son, cast in late 1868 and dedicated in 11th January 1869. The cost involved was £600 (according to Wikipedia!) The bells were rehung by Carrs as early as 1895 in the same frame, (which remained in use until the removal of the bells in 1960).

The bells fell silent in 1922 and, always considered to be of poor tone; (note the frequencies), were recast by Taylors the following year. The scrapping weights are given below. The frame was also lowered by 20 feet in the tower at this time.

Until the time of the closure of this church the bells were popular with peal bands, 197 in total being rung, the last being in August 1959. The bells were transferred to Harbourne to replace the 8 bells there. (q.v.)

(Most of the above information is quoted directly (with permission) from the research notes of Chris Pickford)

Details of the First Ring of Bells

1 William Blews & Sons, Birmingham  1868   5-0-21  26.50"   1642.0Hz (G+80c)
2 William Blews & Sons, Birmingham  1868   5-1-13  26.25"   1540.0Hz (F#+69c)
3 William Blews & Sons, Birmingham  1868   5-2-07  28.75"   1359.0Hz (E+52c)
4 William Blews & Sons, Birmingham  1868   5-3-21  30.00"   1206.0Hz (D+46c)
5 William Blews & Sons, Birmingham  1868   6-3-18  32.50"   1070.0Hz (C+38c)
6 William Blews & Sons, Birmingham  1868   7-1-27  34.00"   1007.0Hz (B+33c)
7 William Blews & Sons, Birmingham  1868   9-3-25  37.00"    912.0Hz (A+62c)
8 William Blews & Sons, Birmingham  1868  11-1-21  40.25"    800.0Hz (G+35c)

Details of the Recast Ring of Bells

1 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough    1923   3-1-11  24.375"  1484.0Hz (F#+5c)
2 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough    1923   3-2-10  25.375"  1399.0Hz (Ex+3c)
3 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough    1923   4-0-07  27.125"  1246.0Hz (D#+2c)
4 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough    1923   4-1-04  28.375"  1112.0Hz (C#+5c)
5 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough    1923   5-2-17  31.125"   990.0Hz (B+4c)
6 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough    1923   6-2-18  32.875"   930.0Hz (A#-4c)
7 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough    1923   8-3-22  36.50"    832.5Hz (G#+4c)
8 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough    1923  12-3-24  40.875"   742.0Hz (F#+5c)

Photo Gallery

bishop_ryder_small
The Monument to
Bishop Ryder
in Lichfield Cathedral

 

 

COVENTRY, Holy Trinity 8, 23-1-15 in Eb

Grid Reference 140/333786 Coventry, Holy Trinity Church - Source: M Chester
Postcode CV1 5EX
Peals Felstead Database
Date Lost 1966/67

History

Coventry's power split in medieval times is really demonstrated here. This church all but shares a churchyard with the St Michael's church, now the Cathedral. This is because Coventry used to be split into two power bases, the Crown and the Earl. The boundary line was between the two churches.

The church dates from the 12th century and is the only Medieval church in Coventry which is still complete.  It is 59 metres (194 feet) long, and has a spire 72 metres (237 feet) high. The church was restored in 1665–1668, and the tower was recased in 1826 by Thomas Rickman. The east end was rebuilt in 1786 and the west front by Richard Charles Hussey in 1843. Holy Trinity was "Gilbert Scotted" during the restoration of the 1850s, in that the central tower's floors were removed to let more light into the building. The bells therefore could no longer remain in that tower.

There were six bells until 1776 when Pack & Chapman provided a new ring of eight, tenor 20-0-18. Six peals rung on the bells (including one of 10,128 in 1787) between 1776 and 1807.

The bells, with the front 7 recast, were hung in a wooden campanile to the side of the church in 1856, the tenor subsequently being recast in 1898). This tower was never strong enough to hold a ringing peal. Peter Border told me of a time when he rang up the tenor by its wheel to frame height - and then he rang it back down very quickly amidst a mass of creaks and groans! Chris Pickford tells me that there is little evidence that the bells were ever rung regularly in this wooden tower.  However, he has found a report of some ringing on the front 6 in the latter part of the 19th century.

Later, Taylors installed an Ellacombe to allow the bells to be chimed - "Chiming apparatus installed at Holy Trinity to enable the eight bells in the wooden belfry in Priory Row to be heard again. Installed through the generosity of Mrs. J.G. Gray. Mr. C.H. Webb of the Allesley band has promised to chime the bells of Holy Trinity in the future (Ringing World 11 Dec.1953 p.809)"

The tower was taken down in 1966/7, partly to provide space for a church hall, it being subsequently demolished to open up the ruins of the Priory. After a decade of storage at Taylor's foundry, the bells were sold to Christchurch Cathedral in New Zealand for the value of the metal and then incorporated into their new ring of 12. These bells are currently in storage following the destruction of the Cathedral by an earthquake in February 2011.

Chris Pickford in his book on Coventry Cathedral bells says that 2 bells were cracked by 1831 and they were taken down until 1841 after which they were chimed only until 1854. There has been repeated structural trouble with the tower, (which again needed a major restoration in 2000). Seven bells were then recast by Mears and all 8 put in the campanile. The tenor was recast in 1898. 

For a full account of the history please see Chris Pickford's article in The Ringing World dated 22 May 1987.

Details of the Bells

1 C. & G. Mears, Whitechapel       1856   6-1-06
2 C. & G. Mears, Whitechapel       1856   6-3-14
3 C. & G. Mears, Whitechapel       1856   7-1-20
4 C. & G. Mears, Whitechapel       1856   8-1-03
5 C. & G. Mears, Whitechapel       1856  10-0-08
6 C. & G. Mears, Whitechapel       1856  11-2-21
7 C. & G. Mears, Whitechapel       1856  13-2-17
8 John Taylor & Co., Loughborough  1898  23-1-15

htcov_small ht-ceil_small
The Wooden Tower The ceiling of the church
at the level that would have
been the ringing room
ceiling in the tower.

BIRMINGHAM, St John the Baptist, Deritend 8: 10-2-16 in F#

Grid Reference 139/286283 Deritend Churchh - Source: Asstonbrook
Postcode B12 0NB
Peals Felstead Database
Date Lost 1947

History

A church here was built as early as the 14th century. Despite being in sight of St Martin's-in-the-Bullring, it was a chapel of ease to Aston; located some three miles distant. It was not for 600 years that it became a separate parish and also the parishioners ceased to elect its incumbent. The church was rebuilt in the 1730s and a ring of eight by Robert Wells of Aldbourne was installed in 1776 by Samuel Turner of Whitechapel. The fittings were partially renewed by Blews in 1872, repaired by Barwell in 1895 and again repaired by Barwell in 1913.

The church was restored between 1881 and 1891, with sittings for 800 people. Changing demographics and land use meant that the church was closed in 1936. However, demolition was delayed by the outbreak of WWII and the church was badly damaged by bombing in 1940. It was demolished in c.1947. The Bull Ring Trading Estate is now located on the site.

The bells were removed in June 1947 when the building was demolished. They were taken to Bishop Latimer’s church, where they were stored for some years before being recast by Taylors towards a new ring of eight there in 1957-8. (q.v.).

Though fairly popular for peals, particularly in the decade either side of the turn of the 20 century, they were described at the end thus, “The bells, a tuneless peal of eight, … have been silent for some five years, chiefly because, with so many modern peals in the vicinity, they were not considered to be worth ringing”.

(Most of the above information is quoted directly (with permission) from the research notes of Chris Pickford)

Details of the Bells

1 Robert Wells, Aldbourne  1776   5-0-25  27.75"   1505.0Hz (F#+29c)
2 Robert Wells, Aldbourne  1776   5-1-25  28.375"  1420.0Hz (Ex+28c)
3 Robert Wells, Aldbourne  1776   5-2-24  29.75"   1261.0Hz (D#+23c)
4 Robert Wells, Aldbourne  1776   6-0-01  31.00"   1138.0Hz (C#+45c)
5 Robert Wells, Aldbourne  1776   6-2-21  32.875"  1010.0Hz (B+39c)
6 Robert Wells, Aldbourne  1776   7-2-13  34.75"    938.0Hz (A#+11c)
7 Robert Wells, Aldbourne  1776   8-3-14  37.75"    841.0Hz (G#+22c)
8 Robert Wells, Aldbourne  1776  10-2-16  40.875"   757.0Hz (F#+39c)
(Scrapping Weights)

Photo Gallery

Deritend Churchh - Source: birminghamhistory.co.uk
Deritend High Street in 1887 Showing
"The Golden Lion" and the Church Tower

HAMPTON LUCY, St Peter 5, 8cwt

Grid Reference 151/257570 Hampton Lucy Church - Source: M Chester
Postcode CV35 8BE
Peals None
Date Lost 1822

History

The old church was demolished in 1822 to make way for the present building, and this very grand church was completed in 1826. It is interesting as being one of the earliest and best examples of the work of the 19th-century 'Gothic revivalists'. It was designed by T. Rickman and consists of a chancel, nave with a clearstory, north and south aisles, north porch, and west tower. In 1858 the east end was remodelled by Sir Gilbert Scott, who provided the chancel with an apsidal end: he also refurnished the church.

The medieval church, which stood 'not exactly on the same site' as the present building, was completely demolished in 1826. A drawing made a few years before its destruction shows that it consisted of a chancel, nave with clearstory and south porch, south chapel, and western tower. The chapel appears to have been of 13th-century date, and the visible details of the rest of the church belong to the 14th and 15th centuries. The tower is finished off with a plain parapet and the roofs are leaded and low-pitched.

This is a little-known lost ring, as the former ring of five here was last rung in about 1822.

The three old bells at Hampton Lucy were recast in 1672-3 by Richard Keene of Woodstock who added two bells to make a ring of five, at a cost of £104 14s. 7d., of which nearly half was contributed by the rector, John Rogers.. The tenor is believed to have weighed about 8 cwt.

The single bell now in the tower was cast by Thomas Mears in 1826. It is a large bell in F, weighing 17-0-9. It was intended as the tenor of a future ring of eight, but neither the other bells - nor the necessary framework - were ever installed.

Details of the Bells

1 Richard Keene, Woodstock  1672/3
2 Richard Keene, Woodstock  1672/3
3 Richard Keene, Woodstock  1672/3
4 Richard Keene, Woodstock  1672/3
5 Richard Keene, Woodstock  1672/3   8cwt

Photo Gallery

hampton_lucy_bell2_small hampton_lucy_bell1_small 
The Bell
hampton_lucy_ringing_chamber_small hampton_lucy_ringing_chambe2r_small hampton_lucy_ringing_chamber3_small
The Ringing Chamber

You are here: Home Rings T- Z Warwick Lost Rings