Font Size

SCREEN

Profile

Layout

Menu Style

Cpanel

WARWICK St Nicholas 8, 15-2-20 in F

Grid Reference 151/286649 Warwick, St Nicholas Church - Source M Chester
Postcode CV34 4JD
Recording
Affiliation Coventry DG
Peals Felstead Database
Sunday 0930-1000
Practice Wednesday 1930-2100 (2nd & 4th. Check for 5th)
Other Information Church Website

History

The present Church was built in 1785, in the Gothic Revival Style, replacing a decaying mediaeval church, the roots of which lay in a former Saxon nunnery on the site.

The bells here were unringable for about 30 years until being recast and rehung in a new cast iron lowside frame by Taylors in 1957. A ring of 6 was installed by Richard Keene of Woodstock in 1695. These bells replace a ring of 5, whose probable details are shown below.  The old bells were weighed out on March 22nd 1694 and the new bells weighed in on MArch 29th 1695. The treble and tenor were recast by Matthew Bagley in 1770 & 1773. The fifth was recast by Edward Arnold in 1798. The third was recast by C & G Mears in 1849 and the treble again was recast in 1877 by Mears and Stainbank. The ring was made into an octave a decade later.

Tilley & Walters note that there were 5 bells by 1552. The 3rd and 4th were recast in 1554-59 by Newcombe of Leicester and there were other, unspecified, recasts in 1561, 1562 and 1565. In 1571 another bell was recast. Another bell, the 4th, was recast by Dankes and Baker in 1619. All went quiet until 1695!

They are an excellent ring of 8 that is popular with peal ringers. Recently there has been adjustable sound control added and this should maintain this church's position as the leading pealed tower in the Coventry Diocese.

This church is easily spotted when coming from the Coventry side of town. It has a spire and is set on the opposite side of a roundabout to the corner of the castle walls. Limited parking is available for cars in the churchyard, enter along St Nicholas Church Street. There is a pay and display car park round to the left at the roundabout at the end of the street. Entry is by the tower stairs on the north side.

There is one band for the two towers in Warwick.  Normally practice is here on the 1st and 3rd Wednesdays of each month and at St Mary on 2nd and 4th.  The band decide which tower to ring at when there is a 5th Wednesday. Sometimes church activities change the schedule, so you might wish to check before turning up - though the two towers are hardly distant from each other!

Details of the Bells

1 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough  1957   4-1-13  26.00"   1401.0Hz (F+5c)
2 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough  1957   5-0-04  27.125"  1321.0Hz (E+3c)
3 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough  1957   5-0-12  28.00"   1173.0Hz (D-2c)
4 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough  1957   5-1-27  30.375"  1044.0Hz (C-4c)
5 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough  1957   6-1-11  32.50"    928.0Hz (Bb-8c)
6 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough  1957   7-3-15  34.875"   875.0Hz (A-10c)
7 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough  1957  11-0-12  39.00"    775.5Hz (G-19c)
8 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough  1957  15-2-20  43.875"   691.0Hz (F-19c)

Details of the Previous Ring

1 Mears and Stainbank, London     1887   4-1-20
2 Mears and Stainbank, London     1887   4-3-22
3 Mears and Stainbank, London     1877   5-2-00
4 Richard Keene, Woodstock        1695   6-0-00
5 C and G Mears, London           1849   8cwt
6 Richard Keene, Woodstock        1649   9cwt
7 Edward Arnold                   1798  12cwt
8 Matthew Bagley III, Chacombe    1773  16cwt

Details of the 1695 Ring of 6

1 Richard Keene, Woodstock        1695   5-1-05
2 Richard Keene, Woodstock        1695   6-0-05
3 Richard Keene, Woodstock        1695   7-1-12
4 Richard Keene, Woodstock        1695   8-2-11.5
5 Richard Keene, Woodstock        1695  10-0-21.5
6 Richard Keene, Woodstock        1695  15-0-21.5

Details of the Pre-1695 Ring

1 Newcombe, Leicester             1561   6-2-11
2 Newcombe, Leicester             1565   8-1-19
3 Newcombe, Leicester             1554  10-1-00
4 Richard Dawkes, Worcester       1619  14-0-27
5 Newcombe, Leicester             1571  18-1-09

Photo Gallery

The Nave. Source: Aidan MacRae Thomson wawrwick1957_small
The Nave Casting the Bells in 1957

 

 

You are here: Home Rings T- Z Warwick Rings T-Z Warwick - St Nicholas