Font Size

SCREEN

Profile

Layout

Menu Style

Cpanel

AVON DASSETT St John the Baptist 5, 7cwt in B

Grid Reference 151/412502 Avon Dassett Church - Source M Chester
Postcode CV47 2AH
Recording
Affiliation Coventry DG
Peals None
Sunday None
Practice None
Other information Church is redundant. There is no electricity in the tower 

History

The church stands on high ground on the east side of the steeply rising road leading from the village northwards to Fenny Compton. It consists of a chancel with a north organ-chamber and vestry, nave, north aisle, south porch, and west tower with a spire. The old church having become dilapidated was pulled down and rebuilt in 1868. Only a small portion of the ancient material was re-used. The discovery or survival of some small fragments of 12th-century stonework was evidently the reason for the new north arcade being designed in the 'Norman style'. The remainder of the fabric is of the early-14th-century style; to which period belong an archway, possibly the former chancel arch, reset at the east end of the north aisle, the east window of the chancel, reset in the west wall of the tower, and a recess replaced in the north wall of the chancel above a unique effigy of a 13th-century deacon. Otherwise the architecture is modern.

The old church at Avon Dassett had two bells in an enclosed weatherboarded turret over the west end of the nave. The turret had a pyramid roof and weathercock. 

This church was declared redundant in May 1983. It is set in beautiful rural South Warwickshire. Owing to problems with the tower, caused by the fact that the church tower was "allegedly moving slowly down the hill", the bells were not available for ringing for many years. They are a complete ring by Blews and were installed at a cost of £220. Those who have rang on the bells did comment that tower movement made them surprisingly difficult to ring at times. All retain their canons and none have been turned. The installation itself remained in a fairly good condition given the lack of attention that it has not had for a good number of years.

Surveys completed in January 2002 by a steeplejack and structural engineer recommended against the ringing of the bells unless the tower is repaired. This repair work was completed during 2008 and some of the bells were swing chimed shortly afterwards.

The bells have recently had some work done to improve their condition and they are now ringable on a restricted basis and no longer ground floor. However, they are not available for general ringing at the present time.

Details of the Bells

1 William Blews, Birmingham  1869  3½cwt  25.50"  1479.0Hz (F#-1c)
2 William Blews, Birmingham  1869  3¾cwt  26.75"  1310.5Hz (E-11c)
3 William Blews, Birmingham  1869  4½cwt  28.75"  1210.0Hz (D#-49c)
4 William Blews, Birmingham  1869  5¼cwt  30.50   1094.0Hz (C#-23c)
5 William Blews, Birmingham  1869  7cwt   33.50"   989.5Hz (B+3c)

 

Photo Gallery

avon_dassett2_small avon_dassett4_small avon_dassett8_small
The bells - down The bells - up The tenor
avon_dassett5_small avon_dassett6_small avon_dassett7_small
The previous 
ringing chamber
The church -
looking west
The church - 
looking east
avon_dassett3_small    
The previous church    

You are here: Home Rings T- Z Warwick Rings A Avon Dassett