Font Size

SCREEN

Profile

Layout

Menu Style

Cpanel

NEWBOLD ON AVON St Botolph 10, 12-0-1 in F#

Grid Reference 140/487771 Newbold on Avon Church - Source M Chester
Postcode CV21 1HN
Recording
Affiliation Coventry DG
Peals Felstead Database
Sunday 1000-1045 & 1800-1825 (By Arrangement)
Practice Thursday 1930-2100  (By Arrangment)

History

Set on the main road through the village this church is right beside the old route of the Oxford Canal. Though re-routed in the 19th century, you can still see the original course to the west of the church. The church itself is pleasant and it contains the only ring of 10 in the Rugby Deanery. The church stands just below the summit of a hill in a small churchyard. It dates from the 15th century and is built on the site of an earlier one, indicated by an exposed portion of an early-14th century tiled floor 3 in. below the present level of the nave floor. The chancel was rebuilt in the 19th century, a parapet was added to the south aisle and the whole church reroofed. It consists of a chancel, nave, north and south aisles, north and south porches, and west tower. It is constructed of a mixture of sandstone and limestone rubble with sandstone dressings.

The existing four bells were recast into 5 at the expense of the parish and a further treble added at the cost of the vicar in 1792 at a cost of £91. The canons were removed and the bells retuned and turned in 1929.

The bells were a ground floor ring of 6 up to 1977. They were rehung with a new frame and fittings by Taylors in 1929, but have since been augmented twice first to 8, some thirty years after this was first proposed, and then to 10 and, in between, moved upstairs. The augmentation to 8 necessitated an additional frame above the main one to hold bells three and four. The parish bought two bells from Everton cum Tetworth in Bedfordshire with a combined weight of 6½cwt to use in the casting of the 1977 trebles. The upper frame was extended on augmentation to 10. Bells 2, 3, 7, 8, 9 & 10 are in the lower frame and the others in the upper frame.

Nicholson's carried out work to the bells to improve their odd-struckness in 2005/6.

The tenor's frequency equates to F#+8c and is therefore not in F as has been recorded in Dove up to 2007.

There is limited parking by the churchyard gate and the entrance is on the north side of the tower.

Details of the Bells

 1 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough  1992   3-2-16  23.50"   1874.0Hz (A#+9c)
 2 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough  1992   3-2-22  24.25"   1668.0Hz (G#+7c)
 3 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough  1977   3-3-18  25.375"  1488.0Hz (F#+9c)
 4 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough  1977   4-2-18  26.325"  1402.0Hz (E#+6c)
 5 John Briant, Hertford           1792   5-0-26  29.50"   1249.0Hz (D#+6c)
 6 John Briant, Hertford           1792   5-3-04  31.00"   1114.0Hz (C#+8c)
 7 John Briant, Hertford           1792   6-2-09  33.625"   992.0Hz (B+7c)
 8 John Briant, Hertford           1792   7-0-20  34.00"    938.0Hz (A#+11c)
 9 John Briant, Hertford           1792   9-1-06  37.75"    835.0Hz (G#+9c)
10 John Briant, Hertford           1792  12-0-01  41.375"   743.5Hz (F#+8c)

You are here: Home Rings T- Z Warwick Rings M-O Newbold on Avon