Font Size

SCREEN

Profile

Layout

Menu Style

Cpanel

DUNCHURCH St Peter 6, 17-0-8 in E

Grid Reference 150/486712 Dunchurch Church - Source: A MacRae Thomson
Postcode CV22 6NQ
Recording
Affiliation Coventry DG
Peals Felstead Database
Sunday 0950-1030
Practice Wednesday 1930-2100

History

On the old "A" road from Birmingham to London this village is now by-passed by the M45. It is a really pretty village that is worth a visit. The church is in the main square and is visible from some distance. It contains a heavy ring of 6 that does rock the tower a bit! Nevertheless they are not too difficult to ring and are pleasant sounding. Each year around Christmas the statue near to the church is dressed up anonymously by some locals! The main "Gunpowder Plot" plotters awaited news of its outcome in the 'Lion Inn' near the church. A plaque on the house, now called 'Guy Fawkes House' - (what else?) tells the tale.

The church consists of a chancel, nave, north and south aisles, north chancel aisle, west tower, and vestry. It was almost entirely rebuilt late in the 14th century and the tower added, probably early in the 15th century. Little is left of the earlier church other than the south wall of the chancel, the bases of the arcade pillars and the piscinas, all of 13th-century date, together with the north door, of the early 14th century, all re-used in the rebuilding. A modern aisle has been added on the north side of the chancel and the south porch destroyed and replaced by a modern vestry. In addition there is the damaged basin of a 12th-century font lying in the nave, and four carved-oak traceried panels in the modern priests' stalls, one bearing the arms of the Isle of Man,  probably early-15th-century. The whole church was extensively restored in 1908.

Joseph Smith cast a ring of six in 1724. tenor 16-3-0, to replace a ring of 5, cast in 1620 by, perhaps, William Clibury of Wellington, with the third recast by William Bagley in 1670. The tenor was recast by Briant of Hertford in 1792 at a cost of £40 12s 6d. It weighed 18-0-20. John Over of Rugby rehung the bells in 1805/06 at a cost of £72/14/- Whitechapel overhauled the bells in 1954. at which time they were hung on ball bearings.

The bells were again rehung in 1981 - the steel frame being made locally. They were retuned at this time by Taylors, but rehung using the cast iron headstocks and other fittings supplied when the bells were previously rehung by Barwell in 1913, who had removed the canons and quarter turned the bells at this time. The tenor's frequency equates to E+5c.

In early 2011 a scheme was completed under which a new ringing platform was placed in the tower in order that the ringers now ring from lower in the tower than before and therefore do not suffer problems due to the short draught between them and the bells that previously existed. The way to this ringing platform is from inside the church. The previous tower entrance remains from outside of the tower, to the right of the west door. The ringing platform can also be reached via this door if necessary.

There is plenty of parking near to the church.

Details of the Bells

1 Joseph Smith, Edgbaston  1724   6-2-09  32.00"  1107.0Hz (C#-3c)
2 Joseph Smith, Edgbaston  1724   6-2-03  33.00"   989.0Hz (B+2c)
3 Joseph Smith, Edgbaston  1724   7-0-14  35.50"   881.0Hz (A+2c)
4 Joseph Smith, Edgbaston  1724   8-2-00  37.00"   825.0Hz (G#-12c)
5 Joseph Smith, Edgbaston  1724  10-3-07  40.50"   741.0Hz (F#+2c)
6 John Briant, Hertford    1792  17-0-08  46.75"   661.0Hz (E+5c)

Photo Gallery

dunchurch1981_small dunchurch_ringing_room_small
The bells being taken down to be repaired and
restored by Taylors of Loughborough.
Bellhangers from G J Batchelor's, Rugby:
left-right John Hughes, Mark Winward, Austin Gooch.
The New Ringing Room
dunchurch_nave_small dunchurch_west_end_small
The Nave The West End of the Church
With the New Ringing Platform

You are here: Home Rings T- Z Warwick Rings C-E Dunchurch