Font Size

SCREEN

Profile

Layout

Menu Style

Cpanel

Roker Parish

Apart from St Andrew's there were once three active churches in the Parish. One of these has recently been converted into a private residence.

St Peter's

The tower contains two bells for chiming.

1/2 26.25" Mears & Stainbank 1903 
2/2 28.50" Mears & Stainbank 1903

This church is situated on Dame Dorothy Street, near to its junction with Church Street North. The church was founded in 674AD and The Venerable Bede spent some time at this church.

All Saints

This church is situated on Fulwell Road, a little east of its junction with Roker Baths Road There are two bells at this church

1/1 17.875" J. Warner 1874 
Disused 17ins Blank c. 1844

According to Pevsner the church is 1846-49 so the disused bell may be slightly later than 1844

St Aidan's

This is just off the coast road in St George's Street. It was the daughter church of All Saints, curiously being actually nearer to St. Andrew's than its mother church.

It has recently been declared redundant and has been converted into a private dwelling. Externally it is much as it was when it was a living church.

There is/was believed to be one c.19th bell in the tower


(Bell details from visits by George Elphick in 1977/78)
You are here: Home The Parish of Roker