Font Size

SCREEN

Profile

Layout

Menu Style

Cpanel

MAXSTOKE St Michael 2, 3½cwt in D

Grid Reference 139/235868 maxstoke.jpg
Postcode B46 3AD
Other Information Benefice Website 

History

The church was built at around the same time as the nearby priory; c.1340. The plan is a plain rectangle about 59½ ft. long by 26 ft. The walls are of local red sandstone ashlar. At the west end, built within the walls, is a modern square bellturret. On the south side is a modern vestry.

These are hung for ringing in the western tower. The bellframe was installed in 1772 and the fittings appear to be contemporary with the frame.  Thomas Hancox died in the year that the smaller bell was cast and it bears his mark. It is, therefore, possible that it was cast by his son, Thomas Hancox II.  The larger bell is a late example of the founder's work. Both bells are maiden castings, retain their canons and have not been turned

Details Of The Bells

1 Thomas Hancox, Walsall    1631  2¾cwt 23.25"  (F#)
2 Hugh Watts II, Leicester  1641  3½cwt 32.625" (D)

Photo Gallery

The Church - Looking East. Source: warwickshirechurches.com The Church - Looking West. Source: warwickshirechurches.com
The Church - Looking East The Church - Looking West

MOSELEY St Agnes 2, 10-2-22 in Ab

Grid Reference 151/198522 agnes.jpg
Postcode B13 9SJ
Other Information Church Website 

History

On Thursday, October 3rd 1878 a meeting was called to discuss the increasing of the seating for the Church of England in this area.  Plans to extend St Mary's (q.v.) did not find favour and instead it was decided to build a wooden church. This was built at a cost of £635 and was opened in April 1879. It was to be used for services for just over five years and cost some £635, including all the fittings. When it was sold, the wooden church went to the new parish of St. Mary and St. Ambrose on Pershore Road (q.v.)(, where it still stands, now acting as the church hall.

An architectural competition was organized amongst seven Birmingham architects in the summer of 1882 for designs for the new church. The anonymously submitted designs were considered at great length by the committee, and the three best were displayed for public viewing at the National Schools in November. The winning architect proved to be William Davis, of Colmore Row. Although detailed plans were now available, money was still not forthcoming on a sufficient scale and, with only £2000 in the bank, it was with considerable trepidation and heart-searching that the Committee sanctioned a start on the building in July 1883. It was decided that the foundations of the whole building should be built but that, to begin with, only the eastern half of Davis's substantial church should be completed. William Bloore's tender of £4045 for the building work was accepted and a Masonic foundation stone laying ceremony decided upon.

At the opening of the church on October 29th 1884 the parts of the church which were completed included the chancel, the north and south transepts and the first two bays of the nave and aisles. The organ chamber on the north side of the chancel and a small vestry on the south side had been built. the 2nd phase of the bulding was completed in 1893 and this included the lower part of the tower. The church was offered £1000 by "CARADOC" in October 1928 offering to donate £1,000 towards the completion of the tower. Quotes were obtained for this, including/excliding a spire.  £4,500/£3,300. The church were unable to find the extra funds and decided not to go ahead. However the former parishioner CARADOC offered to pay £3,000 if the job could be finished for this amount and the tower was completed in 1931/2  (Taken from "History of Moseley" - no longer on the church website)

The grillage is in place to allow the addition of a further 6 bells. These bells are believed to be ringable.

Details Of The Bells

1 John Taylor, Loughborough  1921   3-2-18 (Eb) 
2 John Taylor, Loughborough  1921  10-2-22 (Ab)

 

Photo Gallery

The Wooden Church The Part Finished Church
The Wooden Church The Part Built Church 
Plain 1 for the Tower Plain 2 for the Tower
Plan 1 for the Tower Plan 2 for the Tower

OVER WHITACRE 2, 7-0-23 in Bb

Grid Reference 151/198522 overwhitacre.jpg
Postcode B46 2NG
Recording
Other Information Webpage about the church

History

The church, dating from 1766, was built early in the reign of George III in an Italian classical style typical of the period. However, this was not the first church building on the site. Over Whitacre church certainly dates from Norman times and may be of earlier foundation. Although no evidence of this early church building survives above ground, an item of the old church’s furniture is now to be found in Holy Trinity church at Sutton Coldfield. The 12th-century stone font from Over Whitacre was thrown out when the church was rebuilt. The font was taken to a local pub, either the nearby Owl Inn (now gone) or downhill to the Bull at Furnace End. It was rediscovered in 1856 and presented to Holy Trinity. Documentary evidence of the church here is available from the early 13th century. The advowson of Over Whitacre was given in 1203 by Jordan de Witacre to Christine, prioress of Markyate, Bedfordshire. This gave the priory, amongst other things, the right to appoint a priest to Over Whitacre. Nether Whitacre and Lea Marston were also similarly subject to Markyate Priory. In a document of 1280 confirming the agreement the church is referred to as the ‘chapel’ of Over Whitacre, suggesting that it was subsidiary to Coleshill at that time. Whitacre was still appropriated to Markyate at the time of Henry VIII's valuation, the Valor Ecclesiasticus of 1535, but no vicarage had been endowed and the chapel was probably served by a priest from Coleshill.

Over Whitacre had probably become a parish church in its own right by the end of the 16th century. The earliest evidence on the site is the stump of a medieval churchyard cross which dates from c1500. In 1766 the church was completely rebuilt. The architect builder/s are thought to have been either or both William and David Hiorn of Warwick. They were neo-classical architects of some local repute having worked in Warwick, on west midland country houses and on churches including Holy Trinity church in Sutton Coldfield in 1760. It may be that the new church was built on the foundations of the old. It is possible too that between the internal plaster and the external sandstone ashlar remains of the medieval building survive. The church originally had a dome on the top of the tower, but this was replaced by a spire in 1850

There are two bells here, which are perfectly ringable. Hung on one level in a modern metal frame, they hang side by side and both swing east-west. The treble sounds note E and the tenor Bb. Frame and fittings by Taylors, 1933 at which time the treble was retuned.

No1 Bell is unmarked.
No2 "CELOMUN CHRISTE PLATIAT TIBI REX SONUS ISTE 1616"

Details Of The Bells

1 Unknown                c1350  3-2-14  26.375"
2 Hugh Watts, Leicester   1616  7-0-23  34.00"

Photo Gallery

overwhiteacre_treble.jpg overwhiacre_tenor.jpg
The Treble The Tenor
overwhitacre4.jpg overwhitacre5.jpg
The Nave, Looking East The Nave, Looking West  

You are here: Home Others Rings of Two