Font Size

SCREEN

Profile

Layout

Menu Style

Cpanel

LOXLEY St Nicholas 2, 5cwt

Grid Reference 151/258530 loxley.jpg
Postcode CV35 9JP
Other Information Village Website

History

St Nicholas stands on a site that was given to Worcester Cathedral in 760AD by Offa, King of Mercia. The northern wall of the Chancel incorporates Saxon work from around 950AD (uncovered & preserved in 1983). In 1253AD Peter de Mora granted the church to Kenilworth Priory which retained it until the Dissolution of the Monasteries. 

The church was re-consecrated in 1286 after major re-building by Godfrey Giffard, Bishop of Worcester. The lower parts of the tower are probably part of the 1286 church. The pillar piscina on the south wall of the chancel, the nearby lancet window, and the small coffin lid on the west wall are also 13th century.

Extensive reconstruction work took place in the 18th century when the south aisle was removed and the small vestry (which incorporates many of the Southam memorial stones) was built. This work gave the Church the Georgian character that remains evident today. In 1923 the Kendall family paid for further major work which included the removal of the gallery from the West end and also the flat nave ceiling (which was replaced in 1953). In 1930 a stove replaced oil lamps for heating the Church and in 1938 electric lighting was installed. The small pipe organ was a gift from Styvechale Church, Coventry in 1947.

These bells were once a three, but the tenor was sent to be recast and never came back. The tenor was hung for swing chiming by Taylors in 1962 when the smaller bell, 28" in diameter, was placed on the church floor

Details Of The Bells

1 Appowell, Buckingham?
2 Hugh Watts, Leicester  1632  5-2-13 in B

Photo Gallery

None Available
You are here: Home Others Rings of Two Loxley