Font Size

SCREEN

Profile

Layout

Menu Style

Cpanel

LEAMINGTON SPA St John the Baptist, Tachbrook Street 2, 5cwt in C#

Grid Reference 151/321645 l_spa_sjb.jpg
Postcode CV31 3BN
Other Information Church Website

History

The church is in the English style in red brick with stone dressings. The architect was John Cundall’s. The Building Committee decided to erect the church in stages, between 1876 and 1889. The nave was erected by Mr. John Fell of Leamington. Mr. Franklyn, in the church magazine of May 1877, wrote: “On the day we turned the first sod, the 28th of last August, the rain hindered us from carrying out the order of the Service which had been arranged.” The foundation stone was laid on 3rd April 1877 with full Masonic honours by Lord Leigh, the Provincial Grand Master. The nave and aisles were consecrated by the Bishop of Worcester on St. Valentine’s Day, 14th February 1878. Although the nave had been consecrated and was being used for public worship there still remained a great deal to be done before the Church was completed. The vicarage was built on a site given by Mrs. Hitchman and was completed ready for the Vicar to move into during December 1880. The building of the chancel was commenced in the summer of 1881, with Thomas Mills of Leamington as contractor. St Johns Church [© A Jennings] St Johns Church [© A Jennings] The chancel was consecrated by the Bishop of Worcester on St. John the Baptist Day in 1882. At the same time the pulpit was dedicated and the first person to preach in it was the Rev. Canon Young, Rector of Whitnash. Builder G. F. Smith of Milverton commenced work on the tower and spire in the summer of 1888, reportedly at cost of £1,595. The opening service was held on 1st January 1889.

The bells came from North Piddle in Worcestershire where the church had been rebuilt in 1876. At the time the churches were in the same diocese; Worcester. Both bells have canons and have not been quarter turned.

Details Of The Bells

1 John Martin, Worcester    1676  4¼cwt  27.125"
2 Abel Rudhall, Gloucester  1745  5cwt   29.375"

Photo Gallery

The Bells The Bells
Two views of the bells, taken from the church history webpage  
You are here: Home Others Rings of Two Leamington Spa SJB