Font Size

SCREEN

Profile

Layout

Menu Style

Cpanel

Contacting or Finding Us

Allesley is on the North West Side of the City of Coventry, close to the A45 road that goes across the south and west edges of Coventry, linking with Birmingham to the west and, after becoming the M45, the M1 South to the east.

You can get a map from here

Coming from the City Centre

  • From the Inner Ring Road take the exit for Birmingham, A45, Junction 8.
  • Follow this road straight on through several sets of traffic lights until after about 3 miles or so you reach a large roundabout.
  • Take the third exit, marked Allesley.
  • Follow this road, called Birmingham Road, uphill for about 300yds and just as the road starts to level out there is a small road off to the right, Rectory Lane. Look for the church notice board at the junction.
  • Take this and the church car park is marked to the right after 150yds

Coming from the A45

N.B. Be careful - there are lots of speed cameras all along this section of road, from a couple of miles out of Birmingham City Centre right to Ryton on Dunsmore. Some are only obvious when you are quite close to them
There are 2 fairly new ones around Ryton on Dunsmore, including in the middle of the sweeping S-bend in the centre of the village, and at the same time the speed limit has been reduced from 60mph to 50mph - take care.

  • Take the A4114 exit for Coventry City Centre & Jaguar Car Plant. (This is the first exit for Coventry when coming from Birmingham and the last of several when going towards Birmingham.)
  • Take the city centre route - the only dual carriageway to come off this roundabout - Pickford Way.
  • After 400yds you come to a roundabout.
  • Take the first exit, marked Allesley
  • Follow this road, called Birmingham Road, uphill for about 300yds and just as the road starts to level out there is a small road off to the right, Rectory Lane. Look for the church notice board at the junction.
  • Take this and the church car park is marked to the right after 150yds

Contact Via Email

If you wish to make contact by email you can do via This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

 

Picture Gallery

The church from churchyard to the south.
The relatively new clock face can be clearly seen.
The church was until fairly recently floodlit.
Sadly, the local vandals broke the lights.
Two internal shots of the church showing that little of the Normal origins are left, 
but the church is nevertheless quite an attractive one internally.
The 12cwt tenor. Yes the frame 
could do with a lick of paint!
The previous 3rd & 4th in the upper frame
One of the slate peal boards. 
A local ringer was a stonemason and he made several 
similar to this one for churches in the surrounding area.  
A new one was recently made for a peal rang in memory of 
Hubert Summers, a ringer at Allesley for over 75 years.
The sound control floor - the centre trap can opened and 
closed by using a rope in the ringing room. One louvre is partly
open on the side of the tower without houses nearby.
The last complaint we had was because we rang a peal with the sound control
closed! "Leave it open", said the parishioner in a letter to the ringers!

Further picures can be found on the Allesley page of Church Bells of Warwickshire

Allesley Bells

Until 1901 Allesley were an anticlockwise ring of 5 with a tenor of around 8cwt in an old wooden frame. The parish wished to have a heavier ring of 6 bells so they had installed a new metal, clockwise, frame for 6 bells, recast the old third, a Richard le Belytere bell of 1464, and added a tenor of exactly 12 cwt. This work was carried out by Taylors of Loughborough.

Today this scheme would not be allowed to proceed in this way as the recast bell was about 440 years old in 1901. A new bell would be cast and the old one retained, either on display in the church or perhaps as a clock or service bell.

The band became one of the stronger in what was then called the Warwickshire Guild and this enabled the band to contemplate a further augmentation. In March 1947 the bells were augmented to 8 by adding two trebles cast on 22nd October 1946. The existing two trebles were moved into a rider frame added above the existing 6-bell frame and the new bells put into the now vacant pits. The "old" bells were also put onto ball bearings, again Taylors doing the work. They were re-dedicated by the Lord Bishop of Coventry on 22nd March 1947. A mainly local band rang the first peal on the 8 bells, 5056 Plain Bob Major in 2 Hours & 50 Minutes on, 10th May 1947.

(The Guild was renamed "The Coventry Diocesan Guild of Church Bellringers" in 1945 - a mere 27 years after St. Michael's Church was created a Cathedral and the Diocese formed. The minutes of the meeting to change the name are well worth a read!).

The ringing room used to be dominated by a clock case and, as the clock had stopped working it rather conveniently could be taken out to leave a much better rope circle than would have been achievable otherwise!

The clock face itself was removed to storage in the old vicarage stables in the 1960s and it was only when it was re-gilded and replaced and a new electric mechanism added in the mid-1990s did the ringers find out about the minor omission of obtaining a faculty for its removal!

The bells have been fairly popular for peals and have had more rung on them for the Coventry Guild than any other so far, with the exception of Warwick, St Nicholas,over 250. Decent sound control and sensible amount and spacing out of peals have meant that the only complaints normally received are that someone cannot hear the bells properly in their house!

In 2011 the third and fourth bells were replaced by new bells and the rest of the installation overhauled by Taylors.  The listed fourth bell has been hung dead as a service bell and the third sold to a bellhanger for a project in Wales.

Visiting ringers are more than welcome - the door is an outside entrance on the South side of the tower and is not locked except during quarters and peals.

Ringing Times

Sunday - 0930-1000 & 1730-1800
Tuesday - 1930-2100

Allesley is affiliated to The Coventry Diocesan Guild of Church Bellringers

Details of the Bells

Bell Founder Diameter Weight Date Frequency Note
1 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 23.50" 3-0-03 1946 1619.5Hz G#-45c
2 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 24.50" 3-2-00 1946 1529.5Hz Fx-44c
3 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 25.50" 3-1-21 2011 1358.0Hz E#-49c
4 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 26.875" 3-3-21 2011 1214.0Hz D#-43c
5 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 30.00" 5-0-27 1901 1077.5Hz C#-49c
6 Joseph Smith, Edgbaston 32.00" 5-3-27 1708 1016.5Hz B#-51c
7 Newcombe, Leicester 35.75" 8-0-21 1610 906.5Hz A#-49c
8 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 40.25" 12-0-00 1901 808.5Hz G#-47c
             
Service Thomas Newcombe, Leicester 26.50" 3-3-08 1580 1202.5Hz D#-59c
Old 3rd Joseph Smith, Edgbaston 25.50" 3-0-15 1708 1357.0Hz E#-50c

Hear a Recording of the Bells

Peals Rung at Allesley

There has been a long history of peal ringing at Allesley since the first peal on the bells in 1909. The band was particularly strong in terms of peal ringing in the couple of decades or so after WWII, Frank Perrins, Jack Taylor & Peter Border spending some of this time as captain and/or peal organiser. Allesley has never a "peal machine" tower but one where peals are consistently rung and therefore the list now tops 250.

There were no peals rung when the bells were an anticlockwise 5.

Notice how few peals of triples have been rung on the bells, e.g., 51 years between peals of Grandsire and 40 years between peals of Stedman. Those learning to ring in the 1950s and 1960s at Allesley can still ring surprise well and foul up triples easily!

Should you wish to have more details of any peal contact me and I will send the details to you. To do so click This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

No Date Changes Method(s) Time Guild/Assoc
1 24/09/1909 5040 Plain Bob Minor 2h 45m Warwickshire Guild
2 18/11/1911 5040 Minor (3M) 2h 54m Warwickshire Guild
3 18/05/1912 5040 Plain Bob Minor 2h 43m Warwickshire Guild
4 16/11/1912 5040 Plain Bob Minor 2h 55m Warwickshire Guild
5 14/12/1912 5040 Grandsire Doubles 2h 56m Warwickshire Guild
6 13/05/1913 5040 Plain Bob Minor 3h 02m Warwickshire Guild
7 28/07/1913 5040 Plain Bob Minor 3h 03m Warwickshire Guild
8 17/04/1914 5040 Plain Bob Minor 3h 17m Warwickshire Guild
9 22/05/1914 5040 Plain Bob Minor 3h 01m Warwickshire Guild
10 23/06/1917 5040 Plain Bob Minor 3h 01m Warwickshire Guild
11 15/12/1917 5040 Plain Bob Minor# 2h 55m Warwickshire Guild
12 14/06/1919 5040 Plain Bob Minor 2h 57m Warwickshire Guild
13 01/11/1919 5040 Plain Bob Minor 3h 02m Warwickshire Guild
14 29/11/1919 5040 Grandsire Doubles 2h 57m Warwickshire Guild
15 14/08/1920 5040 Plain Bob Minor 2h 51m Warwickshire Guild
16 06/11/1920 5040 Minor (5M)^^^ 2h 55m Warwickshire Guild
17 28/03/1921 5040 Minor (7M)^^^ 2h 52m Warwickshire Guild
18 25/06/1921 5040 Plain Bob Minor 2h 57m Warwickshire Guild
19 22/10/1921 5040 Minor (7M) 2h 52m Warwickshire Guild
20 03/12/1921 5040 Minor (7M) 2h 51m Warwickshire Guild
21 15/07/1922 5040 Plain Bob Minor 2h 51m Warwickshire Guild
22 28/04/1923 5040 Minor (2M) 2h 47m Warwickshire Guild
23 26/12/1923 5040 Minor (7M) 2h 48m Warwickshire Guild
24 13/02/1924 5040 Minor (7M) 2h 50m Warwickshire Guild
25 02/05/1927 5040 London S Minor 2h 45m Warwickshire Guild
26 21/05/1927 5040 Cambridge S Minor 2h 42m Warwickshire Guild
27 19/12/1927 5040 Minor (7M) 2h 46m Warwickshire Guild
28 18/06/1928 5040 Cambridge S Minor 2h 45m Warwickshire Guild
29 02/07/1928 5040 Cambridge S Minor 2h 41m Warwickshire Guild
30 10/09/1928 5040 London S Minor 2h 47m Warwickshire Guild
31 22/10/1928 5040 Wells S Minor 2h 46m Warwickshire Guild
32 06/11/1929 5040 Cambridge S Minor 2h 45m Warwickshire Guild
33 08/01/1930 5040 Cambridge S Minor 2h 45m Warwickshire Guild
34 02/05/1931 5040 Cambridge S Minor 2h 51m Warwickshire Guild
35 04/10/1932 5040 Cambridge S Minor 2h 45m Warwickshire Guild
36 04/01/1933 5040 Cambridge S Minor 2h 46m Warwickshire Guild
37 28/02/1933 5040 London S Minor 2h 43m Warwickshire Guild
38 06/02/1934 5040 Cambridge S Minor 2h 50m Warwickshire Guild
39 05/05/1934 5040 Minor (4M) 2h 40m Warwickshire Guild
40 03/08/1939 5040 Cambridge S Minor 2h 39m Warwickshire Guild
41 17/10/1943 5040 Cambridge S Minor 2h 44m Warwickshire Guild
42 16/08/1945 5040 London S Minor^^
"The Victory Peal"
2h 37m Warwickshire Guild
43 19/09/1946 5040 Cambridge S Minor 2h 45m Warwickshire Guild
44 30/11/1946 5040 Cambridge S Minor 2h 40m Warwickshire Guild
45 21/12/1946 5040 Cambridge S Minor 2h 45m Warwickshire Guild
46 10/05/1947 5056 Plain Bob Major^^
(Bells now augmented to 8)
2h 50m Coventry DG
47 01/09/1947 5056 Plain Bob Major 3h 00m Coventry DG
48 18/09/1947 5056 Cambridge S Major^^ 2h 48m Coventry DG
49 18/12/1947 5040 Double Norwich C B Major 2h 44m Coventry DG
50 24/04/1948 5040 Grandsire Triples 2h 55m Coventry DG
51 27/05/1948 5040 Stedman Triples 2h 44m Coventry DG
52 19/06/1948 5088 Kent T B Major 2h 49m Coventry DG
53 19/07/1948 5088 Rutland S Major  2h 48m Coventry DG
54 04/09/1948 5088 Yorkshire S Major  2h 40m Coventry DG
55 23/09/1948 5056 Plain Bob Major 2h 45m Coventry DG
56 23/10/1948 5056 Cambridge S Major  2h 47m Coventry DG
57 15/11/1948 5056 Plain Bob Major  2h 43m Coventry DG
58 02/04/1949 5040 Grandsire Triples 2h 55m Coventry DG
59 30/07/1949 5152 Plain Bob Major 2h 57m Coventry DG
60 29/10/1949 5056 Superlative S Major  3h 00m Coventry DG
61 26/11/1949 5008 Double Norwich C B Major  2h 44m Coventry DG
62 02/03/1950 5088 New Cambridge S Major   2h 44m Coventry DG
63 12/10/1950 5040 Plain Bob Major 2h 45m Coventry DG
64 09/12/1950 5056 Spliced S Major (4M)
(First Spliced Surprise for the Guild)
2h 41m Coventry DG
65 31/12/1951 5088 Double Norwich C B Major 2h 42m Coventry DG
66 16/02/1952 5088 Plain Bob Major 2h 54m Coventry DG
67 01/10/1952 5088 Superlative S Major  2h 42m Coventry DG
68 26/12/1952 5088 Superlative S Major 2h 37m Coventry DG
69 07/02/1953 5040 Stedman Triples 2h 42m Coventry DG
70 22/06/1953 5056 Cambridge S Major 2h 44m Coventry DG
71 07/12/1953 5088 Yorkshire S Major  2h 46m Coventry DG
72 13/02/1954 5056 Yorkshire S Major 2h 43m Coventry DG
73 11/03/1954 5056 Superlative S Major 2h 45m Coventry DG
74 10/04/1954 5184 London S Major^^ 2h 44m Coventry DG
75 15/05/1954 5040 Cambridge S Minor 2h 35m Coventry DG
76 08/07/1954 5088 Yorkshire S Major 2h 41m Coventry DG
77 14/08/1954 5056 Cambridge S Major 2h 40m Coventry DG
78 28/08/1954 5056 Superlative S Major 2h 42m Coventry DG
79 12/05/1955 5056 Lincolnshire S Major 2h 40m Coventry DG
80 14/07/1955 5056 Cambridge S Major 2h 46m Coventry DG
81 15/09/1955 5088 Superlative S Major 2h 46m Coventry DG
82 24/03/1956 5088 Yorkshire S Major
(Rung to commemorate the laying of the
foundation stone at the new Coventry Cathedral.
2h 45m Coventry DG
83 30/04/1956 5088 Superlative S Major 2h 46m Coventry DG
84 13/04/1957 5152 Lincolnshire S Major 2h 46m Coventry DG
85 04/07/1957 5056 Cambridge S Major 2h 42m Coventry DG
86 16/07/1957 5088 Yorkshire S Major 2h 42m Coventry DG
87 24/08/1957 5088 Yorkshire S Major 2h 47m Coventry DG
88 31/12/1957 5008 Double Norwich C B Major 2h 45m Coventry DG
89 01/02/1958 5024 Bristol S Major 2h 46m  Coventry DG
90 03/03/1958 5088 Rutland S Major 2h 47m Coventry DG
91 29/04/1958 5088 Rutland S Major 2h 45m Coventry DG
92 31/07/1958 5056 Plain Bob Major 2h 46m Coventry DG
93 09/04/1959 5056 Plain Bob Major 2h 45m Coventry DG
94 25/04/1959 5088 Yorkshire S Major 2h 39m Coventry DG
95 11/06/1959 5056 Plain Bob Major 2h 47m Coventry DG
96 08/10/1959 5120 Spliced S Major (6M) 2h 44m Coventry DG
97 14/11/1959 5120 Spliced S Major (8M) 2h 44m Coventry DG
98 10/12/1959 5056 Cambridge S Major 2h 43m Coventry DG
99 11/02/1960 5088 London S Major 2h 43m Coventry DG
100 19/02/1960 5088 Yorkshire S Major 2h 39m Coventry DG
101 12/03/1960 5088 Pudsey S Major 2h 45m Coventry DG
102 23/09/1960 5056 Cambridge S Major 2h 38m Coventry DG
103 05/11/1960 5056 Lincolnshire S Major 2h 41m Coventry DG
104 03/02/1962 5024 Double Norwich C B Major 2h 40m Coventry DG
105 24/03/1962 5056 Rutland S Major 2h 42m Coventry DG
106 25/05/1962 5056 Cambridge S Major ^^^ 2h 39m Coventry DG
107 07/06/1962 5088 Superlative S Major ^^^ 2h 40m Coventry DG
  Peals 106 & 107 were rung to mark the consecration of the new Coventry Cathedral
108 23/08/1962 5024 Hinton S Major 2h 40m Coventry DG
109 09/03/1963 5024 Pudsey S Major 2h 39m Coventry DG
110 06/04/1963 5024 Lincolnshire S Major 2h 42m Coventry DG
111 20/07/1963 5056 Lincolnshire S Major 2h 35m Coventry DG
112 14/12/1963 5088 London S Major 2h 43m Coventry DG
113 15/09/1964 5024 Bristol S Major 2h 36m Coventry DG
114 30/01/1965 5024 Rutland S Major 2h 44m Coventry DG
115 04/12/1965 5056 Rutland S Major 2h 47m Coventry DG
116 17/05/1966 5152 Glasgow S Major 2h 55m Coventry DG
117 03/09/1966 5024 Pudsey S Major 2h 41m Coventry DG
118 07/01/1967 5088 Cambridge S Major 2h 55m Coventry DG
119 08/04/1967 5024 Olney S Major 2h 38m Coventry DG
120 13/05/1967 5088 London S Major 2h 37m St Martins Guild
121 03/06/1967 5056 Bristol S Major 2h 44m Coventry DG
122 01/07/1967 5088 Rutland S Major 2h 40m Coventry DG
123 21/11/1967 5056 Cambridge S Major 2h 40m Coventry DG
124 30/12/1967 5152 Spliced S Major (4M) 2h 51m Coventry DG
125 03/02/1968 5056 Yorkshire S Major 2h 49m Coventry DG
126 03/05/1969 5120 Spliced S Major (4M) 2h 53m Univ. of Bristol Soc.
127 05/07/1969 5056 Cambridge S Major 2h 49m Coventry DG
128 20/12/1969 5056 New Cambridge S Major 2h 39m Coventry DG
129 14/02/1970 5088 Cassiobury S Major 2h 53m Coventry DG
130 05/11/1970 5056 Cambridge S Major 2h 42m Coventry DG
131 30/01/1971 5168 Plain Bob Major 2h 45m Coventry DG
132 01/09/1971 5088 London S Major 2h 42m Coventry DG
133 21/09/1971 5024 Plain Bob Major 2h 42m Coventry DG
134 15/01/1972 5152 London S Major 2h 42m Coventry DG
135 15/07/1972 5040 Plain Bob Major 2h 42m Coventry DG
136 12/05/1973 5040 Cambridge S Minor* 2h 39m Non Association
137 07/12/1974 5120 Bristol S Major 2h 43m Coventry DG
138 11/01/1975 5056 Cambridge S Major 2h 36m Coventry DG
139 26/04/1975 5088 Yorkshire S Major 2h 37m Coventry DG
140 12/07/1975 5040 Double Norwich C B Major 2h 39m Coventry DG
141 11/09/1975 5056 Plain Bob Major 2h 37m Coventry DG
142 08/11/1975 5120 Superlative S Major 2h 38m Durham Univ. Soc
143 05/05/1976 5152 Glasgow S Major 2h 48m Coventry DG
144 31/07/1976 5024 Rutland S Major 2h 33m Coventry DG
145 22/09/1976 5024 London S Major 2h 44m Coventry DG
146 01/12/1976 5088 Dorchester S Major 2h 41m Coventry DG
147 02/03/1977 5024 Bristol S Major 2h 32m Coventry DG
148 24/09/1977 5088 Yorkshire S Major 2h 41m Coventry DG
149 31/12/1977 5088 Kent T B Major 2h 48m Coventry DG
150 08/07/1978 5056 Bristol S Major 2h 34m Coventry DG
151 25/11/1978 5056 Plain Bob Major 2h 55m Coventry DG
152 13/01/1979 5056 Plain Bob Major 2h 47m Coventry DG
153 01/12/1979 5056 Cambridge S Major 2h 47m Coventry DG
154 07/06/1980 5152 Spliced S Major (4M) 2h 49m Coventry DG
155 28/11/1981 5152 Lincolnshire S Major 2h 49m Coventry DG
156 13/02/1982 5024 Double Norwich C B Major 2h 50m Coventry DG
157 06/11/1982 5056 Plain Bob Major 2h 48m Coventry DG
158 26/03/1983 5088 Yorkshire S Major 2h 47m Coventry DG
159 14/05/1983 5056 Pudsey S Major 2h 34m Coventry DG
160 12/11/1983 5024 London S Major 2h 43m Coventry DG
161 27/10/1984 5056 Plain Bob Major 2h 44m Coventry DG
162 29/04/1985 5088 Pudsey S Major 2h 46m Coventry DG
163 30/06/1985 5088 Yorkshire S Major 2h 36m Coventry DG
164 03/08/1985 5056 Cambridge S Major 2h 41m Coventry DG
165 31/05/1986 5056 Plain Bob Major 2h 46m Coventry DG
166 16/08/1986 5088 Yorkshire S Major 2h 50m Coventry DG
167 04/04/1987 5056 Cambridge S Major^^ 2h 58m Coventry DG
168 02/07/1988 5090 Rutland S Major
(90th Birthday compliment to
the treble ringer - Hubert Summers)
2h 42m Coventry DG
169 17/12/1988 5056 Cambridge S Major 2h 45m Coventry DG
170 18/02/1989 5056 Cambridge S Major 2h 45m Coventry DG
171 30/03/1989 5184 Spliced S Major (8M) 2h 47m Oxford DG
172 15/07/1989 5088 Yorkshire S Major 2h 41m Coventry DG
173 30/06/1990 5088 Yorkshire S Major 2h 47m Coventry DG
174 16/03/1991 5120 Spliced S Major (6m) 2h 42m Coventry DG
175 16/04/1991 5056 Wye S Major 2h 45m Coventry DG
176 15/06/1991 5088 Spliced S Major (5M)^^ 2h 36m Coventry DG
177 21/09/1991 5024 Bristol S Major 2h 39m Coventry DG
178 29/02/1992 5056 Plain Bob Major 2h 39m Coventry DG
---- 14/11/1992 5024 Allesley S Major (FALSE) 2h 43m Coventry DG
179 06/03/1993 5152 Lincolnshire S Major 2h 40m Coventry DG
180 03/05/1993 5060 Spliced Major (2M) 2h 42m Coventry DG
181 18/09/1993 5088 Lincolnshire S Major 2h 46m Coventry DG
182 20/11/1993 5040 Stedman Triples 2h 34m Coventry DG
183 05/11/1994 5120 Spliced S Major (3M) 2h 48m Coventry DG
184 01/04/1995 5152 Thorium S Major 2h 46m Oxford DG
185 22/04/1995 5056 Cambridge S Major 2h 41m Coventry DG
186 09/09/1995 5088 Lincolnshire S Major 2h 48m Coventry DG
187 10/11/1995 5024 Superlative S Major 2h 48m Coventry DG
188 08/04/1996 5152 Bristol S Major 2h 47m Chester DG
189 27/07/1996 5056 Cambridge S Major 2h 43m Coventry DG
190 21/12/1996 5088 Bristol S Major 2h 51m Coventry DG
191 22/03/1997 5056 Cambridge S Major^ 2h 46m Coventry DG
192 07/06/1997 5056 Cambridge S Major 2h 44m Coventry DG
193 18/10/1997 5056 Bristol S Major 2h 51m Coventry DG
194 21/02/1998 5088 Superlative S Major 2h 52m Coventry DG
195 06/06/1998 5056 Bristol S Major 2h 41m Coventry DG
196 19/12/1998 5152 Allesley S Major 2h 49m Coventry DG
197 19/07/1999 5152 Xeranthemum S Major 2h 48m Coventry DG
198 07/08/1999 5184 London S Major 2h 55m G & B DG
199 06/12/1999 5088 Thorne S Major 2h 40m Coventry DG
200 04/03/2000 5152 Lincolnshire S Major 2h 50m Coventry DG
201 16/06/2000 5090 Cambridge S Major 2h 46m Coventry DG
202 11/08/2000 5088 Yorkshire S Major 2h 44m Coventry DG
203 05/09/2000 5056 Septembre D Major 2h 48m St James Guild
204 30/09/2000 5040 Grandsire Triples 2h 53m Coventry DG
205 30/10/2000 5056 Cambridge S Major 2h 48m Coventry DG
206 19/02/2001 5022 Lunar D Major 2h 41m Coventry DG
207 27/05/2001 5088 Allesley S Major 2h 50m Coventry DG
208 23/06/2001 5120 Spliced S Major (4M) 2h 49m Coventry DG
209 29/10/2001 5024 Bristol S Major 2h 41m Coventry DG
210 24/12/2001 5024 Rutland S Major 2h 46m Coventry DG
211 18/02/2002 5088 Qawra D Major 2h 41m Coventry DG
212 04/06/2002 5056 Cambridge S Major 2h 51m Coventry DG
213 29/06/2002 5088 Lincolnshire S Major 2h 45m Coventry DG
214 28/09/2002 5088 Yorkshire S Major 2h 50m Coventry DG
215 09/11/2002 5024 Double Norwich C B Major 2h 44m Coventry DG
216 16/12/2002 5152 December D Major 2h 40m Coventry DG
217 31/03/2003 5088 Bristol Surprise Major 2h 49m Coventry DG
218 25/04/2003 5070 Spliced Major (2M) 2h 44m Coventry DG
219 13/10/2003 5056 Spliced S Major (8M) 2h 43m Coventry DG
220 06/12/2003 5056 Superlative S Major 2h 39m Coventry DG
221 06/03/2004 5152 Rutland S Major 2h 48m Lichfield & Walsall AS
222 12/06/2004 5120 Spliced S Major (4M) 2h 44m Coventry DG
223 19/07/2004 5040 Dorridge A Major 2h 37m Coventry DG
224 18/10/2004 5088 Bristol S Major^^^
(Mike Chester's 1000th peal)
2h 46m Coventry DG
225 18/04/2005 5040 Minor (13M) 2h 35m Coventry DG
226 22/08/2005 5040 Keresley A Major 2h 40m Coventry DG
227 01/09/2005 5056 Cambridge S Major 2h 49m Coventry DG
228 23/12/2005 5152 Lindum S Major 2h 42m Coventry DG
229 20/02/2006 5096 Smith A Major 2h 38m Coventry DG
230 05/03/2006 5040 Plain Bob Major 3h 00m Warwick Univ. Soc.
231 22/04/2006 5088 Yatesbury Manor S Major 2h 38m Coventry DG
232 16/12/2006 5024 Superlative S Major 2h 38m Coventry DG
233 20/01/2007 5120 Kinver S Major 2h 42m Coventry DG
234 24/03/2007 5060 Yorkshire S Major 2h 42m Coventry DG
235 23/04/2007 5152 St George's S Major 2h 44m Coventry DG
236 09/06/2007 5060 Yorkshire S Major 2h 42m Coventry DG
237 01/08/2007 5100 Bristol S Major 2h 48m Leicester DG
238 16/09/2007 5056 Superlative S Major 2h 45m ASCY
239 19/11/2007 5100 Coventry Centenary A Major 2h 43m Coventry DG
240 28/04/2008 5075 Double Norwich C B Major 2h 39m Coventry DG
241 15/06/2008 5088 Bristol S Major^^^
(Gail Randall's 1000th peal)
2h 44m Coventry DG
242 12/07/2008 5040 Double Norwich C B Major^^^^ 2h 47m Coventry DG
243 13/09/2008 5088 Double Dublin S Major 2h 40m Lancashire A
244 22/02/2009 5152 Spliced S Major (23M) 2h 48m Coventry DG
245 16/05/2009 5120 Superlative S Major 2h 43m Coventry DG
246 21/09/2009 5088 Septembre D Major 2h 35m Coventry DG
247 09/11/2009 5056 Plain Bob Major 2h 52m Coventry DG
248 15/02/2010 5088 Cumberland Exercise Treble Bob Major 2h 40m Coventry DG
249 18/10/2010 5056 Bristol S Major 2h 36m Coventry DG
250 11/12/2010 5152 Spliced S Major (4M) 2h 42m Coventry DG
251 21/06/2011 5056 Spliced S Major (8M) 2h 38m Coventry DG
252 18/09/2011 5056 Cambridge S Major
(The first peal after the restoration of the bells)
2h 41m Coventry DG
253 21/09/2011 5088 Forty S Major 2h 49m Coventry DG
254 20/02/2012 5120 Lickey End Treble Bob Major 2h 44m Coventry DG
255 16/07/2012 5024 Old S Major 2h 39m Coventry DG
256 05/01/2013 5088 Warwickshire Surprise Major 2h 42m Coventry DG
257 22/04/2013 5080 Spliced Warwickshire A and Warwickshire S Major
(Rung for the Tower Captain's 80th birthday)
2h 44m Coventry DG
258 19/08/2013 5088 Jedburgh S Major 2h 40m Coventry DG
259 23/12/2013 5120 Superlative Surprise Major 2h 40m Coventry DG
260 20/01/2014 5088 Priors Marston Treble Bob Major 2h 41m Coventry DG
261 08/12/2014 5088 Very Easy Treble Bob Major 2h 44m Coventry DG
262 12/01/2015 5088 Yorkshire Surprise Major 2h 38m Coventry DG
263 24/08/2015 5056 Aswarby Surprise Major 2h 43m Coventry DG
264 05/12/2015 5058 Gainsborough Surprise Major 2h 37m Coventry DG
265 22/08/2016 5024 Rutland Surprise Major 2h 39m Coventry DG
266 26/09/2016 5056 Cambridge Surprise Major 2h 45m Coventry DG
267 17/12/2016 5040 Grandsire Triples 2h 45m Coventry DG
268 27/03/2017 5058 Nailstone Surprise Major 2h 43m Coventry DG
269 22/07/2017 5056 Spliced Surprise Major (2M) 2h 39m Coventry DG
* This peal was rung be a visiting band; each being called Bernard; Messrs. Hawkins
Ongley, Fairhead, Spiers, Taylor (C) and Groves.
# Peal commemorated by an etched and painted glass peal board, the peal rung in
memory of H Kettle, a local ringer and also Guild Secretary, who was killed in the Great War
^ Peal commemorated by a framed peal card in the ringing room
^^ Peal commemorated by a slate peal board on the ringing room wall
^^^ Peal commemorated by a painted wooden peal board on the ringing room wall
^^^^ Peal commemorated by a framed metal peal board on the ringing room wall

Allesley and its Church

Allesley, (say it with the first "e" silent to avoid the locals saying, "Where?" if you ask for directions!  Alls-lea is about right), is a largish village on the North West edge of Coventry, trying hard not to be swallowed up by the city itself! Within the parish the well known "Jaguar" cars used to be made.

The church is Norman in foundation, but it has been much modified over the centuries; "The Victorians" carrying out a major restoration that much changed the church as it previously stood.

At All Saints we ringers have charge of a ring of 8 with a tenor of exactly 12cwt (1344 pounds or about 600Kg) in the key of G#. The band has historically been quite strong. It is now perhaps one with a worryingly high average age. Currently we are starting to struggle for numbers and would benefit from an influx of new or returning ringers. Methods from the basic level to Surprise Major are rung on the practice night, depending upon the number of visitors.

Visiting ringers are most welcome to join us for service or practice ringing. Please do come along!

To find out more about what is happening at Allesley church at the moment you may like to visit the Parish Website

Church History

The church of is built on the rising ground to the north-east of the Birmingham road where this enters the village from Coventry. It is approached by steps and a long ramp which ascends the bank by the road, and consists of chancel, with a vestry adjoining, nave, north and south aisles, south porch, and west tower with a spire.

The 12th-century arcade on the south side is all that remains of the church built c. 1130. The tower and spire were erected or rebuilt in the 13th century and the north aisle was added in the 14th, when the chancel may also have been rebuilt. The vestry and porch are new, and the chancel and south aisle were completely rebuilt in 1863 when the whole church was restored. Both the new and ancient walls are of red sandstone.

The east wall of the new chancel is flanked by pairs of square buttresses with deep chamfers finishing 5 ft. below the base of the gable, which is surmounted by a stone cross. A small, glazed, trefoiled light pierces the gable above a large five-light east window with geometrical tracery. The plinth consists of two plain chamfers. The south side is divided into two bays by a single buttress of similar type, and each bay contains a two-light window with a trefoiled circle in the head. The eaves are open and carried on a plain chamfered line of corbels. On the north the wall is covered as far as the angle buttresses by the east bay of the north aisle.

The modern south aisle is equal in length to the nave and is similar in treatment to the chancel, with a three-light window in the east gable wall and in each of the two eastern bays of the south wall, with geometrical tracery. A porch divides these windows from a single lancet window on the west side. The buttresses are similar to those of the chancel but are diagonal at the angles. The south porch has a doorway with a two-centred head carried on heavy attached shafts with foliated caps. At the foot of the gable parapet the kneelers are supported by small twin shafts incised into the angles. The west gable of the aisle has a two-light window with trefoiled lights, and, in the gable, a circular window, quatrefoiled with a second circle of tracery within. Set diagonally between this wall and the south wall of the tower is a modern, plain, two-centred doorway to give access to the tower vice, above which it weathers back into the angle, topped by a leafy finial. The left jamb is brought forward 1 ft. from the face of the tower to accommodate a buttress.

The east gable of the north aisle contains an original 14th-century three-light window set immediately above a string-course with a rounded top and underside chamfered, stretching across between the modern square buttress of the chancel to the south and a 14th-century diagonal buttress on the angle. The plinth has two plain chamfers, the upper projecting with a drip, and the gable parapet is covered by a restored plain coping with a gable cross; the kneelers have small gablets. The window is of two chamfered orders; the cusped head of each light is lancet shaped and filled with a minor tracery-bar supported on a cusped ogee minor head growing from the chamfers of the main bars. The north wall of this aisle is divided into four bays by buttresses similar to that on the north-east angle. The eaves are open with rafters carried on a corbelled course of stonework, all renewed during the restoration. The second bay from the east angle is filled between the buttresses by a new vestry, whose north wall is gabled with a central chimney; the east wall has a square-headed mullioned window, and the west wall a doorway with a two-centred head. The remaining three bays each have a window, the two to the west being two-light with their tracery of new stonework resembling the original window in the east wall, but with a circular centrepiece above with quatrefoil cusping. That to the east bay is three-light and similar to the east window, the spandrels in the head being uncusped, but all the tracery has been renewed. The renewal of stonework in the western bay has been more extensive on account of a doorway beneath the window having been taken out and blocked with masonry; its position is marked by the return ends of the plinth, 4 ft. apart. The north-west angle is similarly treated with a diagonal buttress and the window in the west gable resembles those of two lights in the north wall. The gable is similar to that at the east and lines up with the east wall of the tower.

The tower has two stages divided by a continuous splayed offset. The buttresses are square and massive, two at each angle. Each has a deep top splay reaching to within 2 ft. of the offset and has two further splayed front-face offsets between this and the plinth. The latter is made up of two splays which return round the buttresses. To accommodate the west doorway the upper plinth-splay is cut and the lower is returned into the wall face. The doorway is small and of two orders with a two-centred head upon shafted jambs, and it appears to have been built during the restoration. The inner order is chamfered and continuous with that of the jambs ending on chamfered stops. A mould is cut on the angle of the outer order, which descends on the abacus of the foliated capitals, which, like all the detail of the doorway, are of 13th-century type. There is a hood-mould with a rounded top hollowed underneath which stops on foliage bosses. There is a tall window stretching from a point 2 ft. above the apex of the doorway to a distance of 7 ft. from the offset. It is twocentred and contemporary with the tower, although portions of the head and the single mullion have apparently been renewed. The hollow-moulded hood is carried on two head-stops. There are two chamfered orders carried on a splayed sill. The head is equilateral and contains a circle of tracery with pointed cusps forming a quatrefoil. The head of each light is trefoiled in a similar manner. A little above the offset is the sill of a smaller window which also appears to be of the same period, though the hood-mould and head-stops are new. The single hollow-chamfered mullion divides to meet the head and to form the two lights, each of which has an apex placed between the line of the window jamb and the centre-line of the light. The unevenly balanced head of each light is trefoiled, but the pierced central spandrel above is not cusped. The belfry two-light windows are unglazed and contain boarded louvres on all four faces of the tower. They have two-chamfered orders and possess no hood-mould; they are similar to the lowest window on the west face. Above them is a corbel-table consisting of a large hollow-mould containing a row of nine corbelled heads, animal and human, inclusive of those inclined at the angles, which have lead spouts. Above is a small level parapet topped by a roll surmounting a double splay.

The north face contains two openings only, both above the offset and similar to those on the west. The plinth returns against that of the north aisle, which is 6 in. higher. A block of stone with splayed top projects from the tower wall near the north-east angle, but there is no other trace of a buttress on this angle. On the south face, the plinth stops against the modern walling, forming the door-jamb referred to above, which goes up to support an ancient buttress of the same projection but which overlaps this support by 9 in. on the west side. This extra width is held up on an ancient corbel, two stones deep and built up of two hollows, the edge between them having a rounded fillet. Two plain slitlights piercing the buttress light a part of the vice. The top splay matches those of the other buttresses, but there are no offsets below. Another slit-light occurs immediately to the west of the top offset. On this face is a 19th-century iron clock dial. The two windows above the offset are similar to the others; and a feature in common to all is the curious break in the vertical alignment of these upper windows. On the west face all the openings are apparently on the centre-line except that between offset and belfry, which is placed some 6 in. to the north; on the north face, the same window is drawn 6 in. to the east, and on the south 6 in. to the west, the belfry window above always being central.

The spire is octagonal and there are plain broaches at the four angles. Spire-lights occur at three different levels and upon alternate sides: (a) immediately above the parapet and facing the cardinal points, having two plain chamfered orders rising into lancet-shaped heads, each window containing two lights filled with louvreboards; they are gabled out from the spire slope with slightly projecting verges having a roll apex and drips at the shoulders; (b) on each alternate face mid-way up the spire (similar to a but smaller, having only a single order and without louvres); (c) upper lights, again to the cardinal points, of small size and without mullion or louvres. A foliated stone finial bears a gilded wroughtiron weather-vane at the spire apex.

In the modern chancel the sandstone frames all the openings, but the remainder of the wall is plastered. The trussed rafters forming the roof are exposed. The east window and that immediately to the south have modern stained glass. Oak panelling round the sanctuary embraces an aumbry on the north side which may be part of an original wall. This has two squareheaded openings with a square mullion between them. A projection from the rear of the mullion, which is curved underneath, assists in the support of the stonework above. On the south side there is a piscina (modern) and a window-seat. There is a two-centred arch, having an inner chamfered order resting on heavy foliated corbels, which overlooks the east bay of the south aisle. The chancel arch is similar, but with its inner order supported on half-columns having similar capitals.



An old picture of the interior

The east bay of the north aisle is screened off in the west by a modern oak screen (unpierced) for an organ chamber and choir vestry. The north arcade has three two-centred arches of two chamfered orders supported on two octagonal piers and half-octagonal responds with an outer chamfered order. The east bay has been restored, but those to the west appear to be of the 14th century, and the two original bases are octagonal with roll mouldings. The moulded capitals are all similar and have fluted neckings opening out with a plain face to a fillet with a roll-moulding over, separated from the hollow-moulded abacus by a sunk billet enrichment.

The nave has no clearstory and the roof is modern, being open and of the trussed-rafter type. The walls are treated in the same manner as the chancel except for a patch of exposed masonry above the tower arch. The arcade opening on to the south aisle is also of three bays, but that to the east is modern, being similar to those opposite, except that in place of the free-standing octagonal pier there is a semi-octagonal jamb built on to a larger pier, 2 ft. 6 in. wide, which separates this bay from two 12th-century bays to the west. The latter both carry semicircular arches of two plain square orders, the inner arch-ring being the deeper. The east 12th-century respond has a capital which is square at the top and equal in thickness to the pier it adjoins; there is a plain chamfered abacus above. The lower portion of the capital is scalloped, the grooves between the scallops at the angles are plain, but all the remaining grooves are filled with ridged projections; the necking is a heavy roundel which returns round the angle of the wall and is then cut off. The base-mould of the circular shaft consists of a slightly rounded chamfer carried upon a square base block without spurs. The centre column is similar except that the diameter exceeds that of the responds, being equal to the full thickness of the wall, and the capital has no groove on the angles as there are angle-scallops. The west respond is exactly similar to that on the east. The west tower-arch is lancet shaped and consists of two heavy chamfered orders. The caps are moulded with a rounded necking and a plain field above, swelling into an undercut rounded mould supporting grooved fillets. The abacus above has a rounded edge with a central fillet. The base consists of two roll mouldings divided by a fillet.

In the south-west corner of the nave, piercing the west wall, is the original doorway to the vice; it is twocentred with a single chamfered order and contains the original door with wrought-iron strap-hinges. It is now disused and is covered by the pews.

The south aisle windows are glazed with stained glass in each end gable. When the aisle was rebuilt it was evidently extended by one extra bay eastwards, (fn. 43) and the east wall of this is now faced with an inscribed oak-panelled war memorial.

The inner doors of the south porch and the doorway with its two-centred head are modern, the exterior jambs are shafted, and the two exterior moulded orders of the arch are framed by a hood-mould.

All the roofs and floors are modern.

A modern stone and marble font stands opposite the south door and beside the round 12th-century pier. Modern and 18th-century wall monuments adorn the south aisle. Similar monuments of the 18th century are against the north and south walls of the north aisle; one on the north side, dated 1684, commemorating a servant of the family of John Lacon, is rectangular and surrounded by an architrave which is supported on two consoles. More of the late 18th century are at the west end of the north and south nave walls and under the tower. All the furniture in the chancel is modern.

The registers of marriages and burials begin in 1562; those of baptisms in 1569, but the earliest volume is imperfect. There are many 18th-century tombs in the churchyard and a few elm trees of great age. The Rectory adjoins the churchyard to the west, and its spacious front garden runs parallel with the churchyard and down to the main road where a picturesque 18th-century brick arbour with an oriel window overlooks the steep bank.

From: 'Parishes: Allesley', A History of the County of Warwick: Volume 6: Knightlow hundred (1951), pp. 3-8. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=57083

 

More Articles ...

You are here: Home Rings C-E Coventry Allesley Ringers Website