Font Size

SCREEN

Profile

Layout

Menu Style

Cpanel

CHARLECOTE PARK, Gatehouse Clock 5, 4¾cwt in D

Grid Reference 151/262563

History 

This is a clock chime in the Elizabethan Gatehouse at Charlecote Park. These bells and the 8 day clock were supplied by Mears to the clockmaker Tupman of Great Russell Street, Bloomsbury, London in 1824 at a cost of £385 2s 7d.

They sound the notes D, A, D, E F# from the tenor to treble.

The clock is just visible in the photograph on the right hand turret.

Details of the Bells

1 Thomas Mears, London  1824         14.00"  D
2 Thomas Mears, London  1824         16.00"  A
3 Thomas Mears, London  1824         17.75"  D 
4 Thomas Mears, London  1824         22.25"  E
5 Thomas Mears, London  1824  4¾cwt  28.00"  F#

Photo Gallery

Charlecote - Source: Panoramio
The Bells: Source James Trewin
The Bells

EDGBASTON, Birmingham University, Chamberlain Memorial Tower 5, 121-2-11 in G

Grid Reference 139/048835 Birmingham University - Source: Yoni
Postcode B15 2TS

History

This clock tower stands 100m (327ft) tall and is said to be the tallest clock tower in the world. It was built as the result of a large donation and is of red brick. It is based on the Mangia Towerin Siena, Italy.

The tower was built in 1907-9 by Waring White of London. Thomas Rowbotham, the main builder of the campus made the very generous gift of some £2000 for the clock and bells for the new tower. The original electric lift, installed by Otis, still remains in use.

The tower was built from the inside, without the use of scaffolding and as a result needed pointing by 1914, The clock is by J B Joyce of Whitchurch, the dials being 17 feet 6 inches in diameter.

The bells, forming 1, 2, 3, 6 & 10 of a "ring" of 10, were cast by Taylors and rehung by the same firm in 1981 due to problems with the grillage.

(Most of the above information is quoted directly (with permission) from the research notes of Chris Pickford).

Details of the Bells

1 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough  1908    9-1-04  34.19"   1008.0Hz (B+35c)
2 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough  1908   10-3-26  37.50"    898.0Hz (A+35c)
3 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough  1908   15-2-00  42.19"    800.0Hz (G+35c)
4 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough  1908   35-1-20  55.875"   600.0Hz (D+37c)
5 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough  1908  121-2-11  83.50"    401.0Hz (G+39c)

Photo Gallery

None Available

NEW MILVERTON, St Mark 5, 14-2-11 in G

Grid Reference 151/264399 Milverton Church - Source: Genuki
Postcode CV32 6DL 
Other Information Church Website 

History Of The Bells

The church, in Rugby Road, New Milverton, was built and endowed in 1879 by the Rev. E. Carus-Wilson and E. Carus-Wilson, esq. in memory of their sister Lady (Trevor) Wheler. It was designed by Sir George Gilbert Scott in red brick with stone dressings, in 14th-century style. It consists of chancel with north chapel, transepts, clearstoried nave, north and south aisles, south porch, and a large west tower with battlements and pinnacles.

These are a clock chime with the fourth quarter bell hung for ringing. The 4th is the old bell from the previous church, being by Thomas Mears, 1835. It is hung for ringing in a frame dated 1880. Taylors provided new ringing fittings for it in 1917. The others are hung dead.

They are actually clock bells, but all five can be chimed from an Ellacombe chiming manual. The Mears bell has had its canons removed, but the Taylor bells retain their canons.

Details of the Bells

1 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1884 3-0-12
2 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1884 3-3-24
3 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1884 5-2-18
4 Thomas Mears, Whitechapel 1835 9-3-15
5 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1884 14-2-11 42.50"

Photo Gallery

milverton_east_small milverton_west_small milverton2_small
The Church - Looking East The Church - Looking West  The Bells

LEAMINGTON SPA, Davis Memorial Clock Tower, Jephson Gardens 5, 8-0-27 in A

Grid Reference 151/322658

History

The clock tower was given to the town in 1925 by the widow of William Davis, J.P. who had thrice been mayor of the town. The chimes fairly quickly fell out of use due to complaints from nearby residents.

The clock was overhauled by Smiths of Derby in 1986, at which time the bells were brought back into action but with a night silencing mechanism.

The bells are hung in two tiers, 2, 3 & 4 on top, at the level of the sound openings. The notes, in descending order, are G#, F#, E, B and A

Details of the Bells

1 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough  1925  1-2-15
2 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough  1925  2-0-14
3 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough  1925  2-2-16
4 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough  1925  5-2-13
5 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough  1925  8-0-27  35.50"

Photo Gallery

Jephson Gardens - Source: Bobjay

STONELEIGH ABBEY, Gatehouse 5, 2-0-25½ in G#

Grid Reference 140/317712 Stoneligh Abbey Gatehouse - Source: Edward T
Postcode CV8 2LF
Other Information Abbey Website 

History

A clock chime housed under the eaves of the roof of the chamber over the main archway. There has been a clock here since at least the early eighteenth century, perhaps much earlier given the dates of some of the quarter bells. 

The quarter bells are on the right of the clock and the hour bell on the left. The quarter bells sound the notes expected of a conventional Cambridge chime, but the hour bell is a tone higher than 4th quarter. This bell was substituted for an earlier one that was 2-0-26 in weight when delivered to the foundry.

There are two other bells at the Abbey - an alarm bell by C & G Mears, 1845 - 23", 2¾cwt and a disused modern bell by Whitechapel 1955 - 18.875", 1-2-8. The latter replaced a beel cast in 1706 by Abraham Rudhall I, weighing 0-2-12.

(Most of the above information is quoted directly (with permission) from the research notes of Chris Pickford)

Details of the Bells

Q1    H Oldfield, Nottingham    1620       14.125"  D#
Q2    H Oldfield, Nottingham    1620       14.875"  C#
Q3    Newcombe, Leicester      c1580       16.50"   B
Q4    Unknown                   Early C19  21.5"    F#
Hour  C & G Mears, Whitechapel  1851       2-0-25½  G#

You are here: Home Rings C-E Coventry Chimes Clock Chimes