Font Size

SCREEN

Profile

Layout

Menu Style

Cpanel

BIDFORD ON AVON St Laurence 8, 14-0-24 in F (GF)

Grid Reference 150/101518 Bidford on Avon Church - Source M Chester
Postcode B50 4DA
Recording
Affiliation Coventry DG
Peals Felstead Database
Sunday 0945-1030 (1st). 0915-1000 (Rest) - check
Practice Tuesday 1930-2100 - check

History

This is a pretty village built, obviously, by the River Avon. It is worth spending a while resting here. Lots of open space and decent pubs! The church is in the centre of the village and is easy to find. Don't be fooled by the photograph; behind that tree is the market place! The church consists of a chancel with a north vestry and organ-chamber, nave, north and south aisles, north porch, quire vestry in place of a south porch, and a west tower. The chancel, west end of the nave, and west tower date from about 1250. The nave was long and narrow and may (in part) have been on the lines of an earlier nave, but no 12th-century details remain. In 1835 it was widened for about two-thirds of its length and aisles of the same length were added, with arcades of three bays. The chancel was restored in 1886–9 and the roofs in 1922.

The bells are a fairly easy going ring of 8 that are rung from the ground floor, behind a nicely carved screen. The tower is small and therefore the bells are on two levels. The frame and fittings are all by Taylors, 1954. The four old bells were one-eighth turned, as they had been quarter-turned by Messrs Webb and Bennett of Kidlington, Oxon, who rehung the 6 in July 1908. The previous frame was described thus: "Bells hung awkwardly in two tiers, the upper three very difficult to reach", by Tilley writing in 1878.

In 1681 the existing bells in the tower were recast into 5, probably by Richard Keene of Woodstock, tenor being around 9cwt. Subsequently there was a ring of 6, all cast by John Rudhall in 1791. The old tenor weighed 13-1-13 when cast. They arrived in Bidford by river on 23rd February 1792.

There is plenty of on-street parking by the church.

Being on the edge of the Coventry Guild and the Worcester & Districts Association this tower has links with both. Here is a link to the W & D entry for Bidford

Details of the Bells

1 John Taylor, Co, Loughborough  1954   3-3-12  26.00"  1381.0Hz (F-20c)
2 John Taylor, Co, Loughborough  1954   4-1-10  26.875" 1279.0Hz (E-53c)
3 John Taylor, Co, Loughborough  1954   4-3-06  28.50"  1156.0Hz (D-28c)
4 John Rudhall, Gloucester       1791   6-0-01  32.00"  1030.0Hz (C-28c)
5 John Rudhall, Gloucester       1791   6-0-06  32.00"   912.0Hz (Bb-38c)
6 John Rudhall, Gloucester       1791   6-3-06  34.125"  860.0hz (A-40c)
7 John Rudhall, Gloucester       1791   9-2-24  38.125"  765.0Hz (G-42c)
8 John Taylor, Co, Loughborough  1954  14-0-24  43.00"   683.0Hz (F-39c)

Details of the Previous Bells

1 John, Rudhall, Gloucester      1791   5½cwt
  COME AWAY MAKE NO DELAY 1791
2 John, Rudhall, Gloucester      1791   6cwt
  FEAR GOD HONOR THE KING 1791
3 John, Rudhall, Gloucester      1791   7cwt
  PEACE AND GOOD NEIGHBOOURHOOD 1791
4 John, Rudhall, Gloucester      1791   8cwt
  1791
5 John, Rudhall, Gloucester      1791   9¾cwt
  IOHN HURST HENRY BIDDLE & MARK OSBORNE CHURCH WARDENS 1791
6 John, Rudhall, Gloucester      1791  13cwt
  INO HURST HENRY BIDDLE MARK OSBORNE & THOS SALE CHURCH WARDENS 1791
 

Photo Gallery 

The Church - Looking East. Source: Aidan MacRae Thomson The Church - Looking West. Source: Aidan MacRae Thomson
The Church - Looking East The Church - Looking West
You are here: Home Rings C-E Coventry Rings B Bidford on Avon