Font Size

SCREEN

Profile

Layout

Menu Style

Cpanel

BADDESLEY CLINTON, St Michael & All Angels 3, 5cwt in Db

Grid Reference 139/202713 Baddesley Clinton Church - Source: Mike Chester
Postcode B93 0DG
Peals None
Date Lost 1938

History

The church consists of a chancel, nave, and west tower. The nave dates from the 13th century. From the eastward position of the side doorways it is probable that the plan was then a plain rectangle including a chancel. The west tower was built about 1500 by Nicholas Brome, as recorded by an inscription on the south wall. The clearstory was added at the same time, and it was probably then that the chancel arch was inserted. The chancel is said by Dugdale to have been lengthened 12 ft. in 1535, but it was entirely rebuilt in 1634 by Edward Ferrers; as is recorded on a tablet in the chancel. The 16th-century east window with its ancient glass was retained in place, or re-set, as was also the tomb of Sir Edward Ferrers, who died in 1535. The addition to the nave roof was probably also part of the same work.

Hung in the seventeenth century ringing oak frame. Rehung "dead" for chiming by Mears & Stainbank in 1938 and chimed from a manual. The treble is likely to have been put into the tower when it was built in the early years of the 16th century.

The bells retain their canons and have been quarter turned. The two larger bells are maiden castings.

The church is geographically in Warwickshire, but is in fact in the Birmingham Diocese

Details of the Bells

1 William Hasylwood, Reading, c.1500  3½cwt 25.875"  1407.0Hz (F+12c)
2 Henry Bagley,                 1678  4cwt  27.75"   1238.5Hz (Eb-8c)
3 Thomas Newcombe,            c.1580  5cwt  30.00"   1123.5Hz (Db+22c)

Photo Gallery

b-clinton_east.jpg b-clinton_ellacombe.jpg Plan of the Church. Source: British History Online
 The Church - Looking East The Ellacombe Apparatus  A Plan of the Church

You are here: Home Rings C-E Coventry Chimes Bell Chimes Baddesley Clinton