Font Size

SCREEN

Profile

Layout

Menu Style

Cpanel

NETHER WHITACRE St Giles 6, 10-1-0 in G

Grid Reference 139/231929 Nether Whitacre Church - Source: M Chester
Postcode B46 2DY
Recording
Affiliation St Martin's Guild
Peals Felstead Database
Sunday 1030-1100
Practice Thursday 2000-2100
Other Information Ringers' Website

History

The church consists of a chancel with a north vestry and organ-chamber, nave, south porch, and west tower. The tower dates from the 16th century—the first half or middle—but the remainder of the building has no ancient features except the jambs of the east window and the rubble walling, which may be 14th-century work. The building was restored in 1870: this seems to have included the rebuilding of the south wall of the nave and the complete renovation of the windows and doorways of the nave and chancel, and new roofs and furniture. The resetting of a number of carved stones in the tower walls, most of them apparently of the 14th century, may perhaps indicate an earlier tower.

These bells, a complete Smith ring of 1725, originally rang out at Hampton in Arden, Warks (q.v.), but became surplus to requirements when the former Miles Platting, Manchester, ring of eight was installed at Hampton in 1975-6. The "old" ring was transferred to Nether Whitacre in 1976-7. As part of this scheme the bells were retuned, turned and their canons were removed. A new metal "lowside" frame and standard fittings were supplied with the ring. The tenor is in the key of G-47c.

One bell from the former three (No. 2 by Newcombe,) was preserved for use as a clock bell; the remaining two being sold to Coleshill, Warwickshire, the metal being used as part of their scheme for rehanging and augmentation to 10, completed in 1977. The churchwardens account for 1640 give details of expenditure on a new bellframe and this may have been the one removed from the tower when the six were installed. The three bells all swung north - south.

A new upstairs ringing room was created in 2002.

Look for the sign towards the parish church off the main road through the village, the B4098. You can park by the churchyard gate.

Details of the Bells

1 Joseph Smith, Edgbaston      1725   4-1-26  28.00"   1285.0Hz (E-45c)
2 Joseph Smith, Edgbaston      1725   4-1-26  28.875"  1146.0Hz (D-43c)
3 Joseph Smith, Edgbaston      1725   4-2-14  30.00"   1022.0Hz (C-41c)
4 Joseph Smith, Edgbaston      1725   5-1-13  31.625"   964.0Hz (B-42c)
5 Joseph Smith, Edgbaston      1725   7-0-26  34.313"   859.0Hz (A-42c)
6 Joseph Smith, Edgbaston      1725  10-1-00  36.625"   764.0Hz (G-45c)

Details of the Previous Bells

1 Thomas Hedderly, Nottingham  1783
2 Newcombe, Leicester          1612   4¾cwt,  29.25"    1108.0Hz (C#-1c)
3 Thomas Hedderly, Nottingham  1783   5-3-18

Photo Gallery

whitacre2.jpg whitacre3.jpg whitacre_clock.jpg
The Bells From Above The Bells  The Clock Bell 
The Church - Looking East. Source: Aidan MacRae Thomson The Church - Looking West. Source: Aidan MacRae Thomson  
The Church - Looking East The Church - Looking West  

You are here: Home Rings C-E Coventry Rings M-O Nether Whitacre